Any idea how to get business to add their business to my new directory?

dwhs

I just launched my new business directory and make the sign up super easy with no login and the site looks great.

The issue is the millions of businesses that now need to add their business lol.

Any idea how to get businesses to add their business to a directory for cheap.

I tried Facebook but would get 10 clicks and only one profile added. Which is really weird since it's free lol. I have never had any conversions from Facebook though so not entirely surprised.

I'm doing SEO and basic Internet marketing but we all know how long that will take to work if it does at all.

So it has to be something they see online and cheaply. Probably a really cheap banner ad or a business site of some sort.

Hmm

Thanks!
Charles

I just launched my new business directory

Any idea how to get businesses to add their business to a directory

Me thinks you put the cart before the horse. Why would you launch the directory without a plan to populate it?

Charles,

Ask yourself why a business would pay to be listed in a directory that has very little or no distribution (by distribution I mostly mean exposure/web traffic)? When it comes to content business, with some experience, I can tell that you that success doesn't come overnight. You really have to plan for a long-term ride, build your directory at first, establish some kind of presence, before you can charge a fee.

As far as reaching your clients, why not simply contact them directly, introduce yourself and offer them a free listing? That way you are building a relationship from the start, doesn't matter if it is costing you or not, you have very little to lose. Maybe once the directory grows, you can substitute free listings with paid ones and at that point some of the free clients will be ready to stay with you by paying the fee.

Maybe you can find a public list of businesses to import and at least make it look "busy" to the potential lister

Ask yourself, why would a business want to list their info in your directory.

Whats in it for them?
How will it benefit their business?
Is your website reputable enough that they would want their info there.

It's tough for you to attract others login your site, if you have no reputable blog to promote their business for free.

but claiming its free but then the page to add too states a one off payment. this would also turn business away as you are not providing what you advertise and thats a free listing

You should ditch the fee for some time, until you build some reputation. Some satisfied clients of yours could write a good review about your business. Maybe this should be the way for them to pay in the beginning.