Are there keywords

Fellow

Are there keywords that you should not ever use? I hope that doesn't sound ignorant. I mean say when you are adding content to your site and you add the keywords are there any that you really shouldn't add? I'm thinking all would be safe but about the time I go in to do this then I will make that mistake.

Hahaha, that certainly will. There are cases where you are not allowed to use certain keywords in your domain name, which are protected branded keywords. For example, I think anything related to Olympic Games would be a very big problem.

I read a few years back that there were some attempts to forbid anyone from using those two words without permission, but somehow I don't think that ended very well in their case. Imagine authority on such an important keyword phrase, just in hands of one entity... :smash:

Last edited:
I think that'll probably bring the FBI knocking on your door.

Anyone call for a raid? :D

Yea I could think of a few off the top of my head but I am not sure if there is a specific "list" out there of the no no's, if there is I am sure anyone that went looking (even with good intentions) would end up being flagged in some sort of way.

Many times you have a blog post on some new services and traffic comes on to your blog and they go onto the main site checking the services they are looking for, it gives a negative impact on the user if we dont offer the service he is looking for

You will never use them but your competitors can use them and you will never know about that. That is the factors which do not depend on you

You don't want to use any keyword that will make any kind of " false statement".

For example, you don't want to use "unlimited xxx" while it is not actually "unlimited". etc...

You don't want to use any keyword that will make any kind of " false statement".

For example, you don't want to use "unlimited xxx" while it is not actually "unlimited". etc...

Thats a good point. I hate companies offering unlimited xxx bandwidth/disk space because it's not possible and it gives the whole web hosting industry a bad image.

As long as the services you sell are -

a) Legitimate.
b) Non-abusive.
c) Your keywords are relevant content to what your site is offering.

Then you should have no problems whatsoever.

I think that'll probably bring the FBI knocking on your door.

I think so as well. I also think that anyone using those type or combination of keywords has way too much of the :devil: in them and needs some help and guidance in life. Thanks guys you all have been pretty helpful!

There are cases where you are not allowed to use certain keywords in your domain name, which are protected branded keywords. For example, I think anything related to Olympic Games would be a very big problem.

I read a few years back that there were some attempts to forbid anyone from using those two words without permission, but somehow I don't think that ended very well in their case. Imagine authority on such an important keyword phrase, just in hands of one entity... :smash:

Yeah, I think it is practically impossible. Olympic Games is a general phrase, almost like web server, internet marketing, etc. I don't think even the owner of unique brands will make such attempts. Do you think Google will forbid you from using the word "google" in your published content?

I guarantee you that you will encounter problems with certain keywords. The NCAA fiercely protects their slogans, especially in basketball.