Bandwidth ussage?

bunnykins

How many of you get close to your bandwidth limit?
Out of every host I have had that has a set bandwidth limit I use around 10% on average of my bandwidth limit. I have only once gotten close to the limit and that was because of a slide show glitch on my gallery. well maybe not a glitch but a feature. Any way it allowed you to start a slide show and it would not stop going through all the images until you told it to. There was a slide show that run for over a month and that got me close to the bandwidth limit.

I have never once gone above it though. Just last month I only used 11% of my bandwidth. That is out of 250GB.

We have several clients who come close to using their bandwidth each month. We do not set ridiculously high limits so we can keep costs down (all our hosting is DDoS protected so it does cost more). When the client gets close to hitting the limit, we just let them know and offer them the option of purchasing more bandwidth if they choose to do so.

It vary s from the time of the year with a web site that I have been running for a while now. During the winter season is when my site will come close to the cap level on the bandwidth. Last year I had to bump up 10GB because I had often a lot of site viewers. But during the summer I usually don't see to much traffic on my site and not really keep my eye on it but for winter we always have to watch it closely so we dont get hit with any fees or suspended.

there are a lot of things you can do i believe to optimize your site to lower bandwidth

Typically we don't have many customers that hit close to their limit, but we have a few who do but they're usually good at catching that and adding bandwidth.

We usually don't charge fees if they go over a tiny bit occasionally and don't make a habit out of it.

We don't offer a bandwidth limit but have some customers use quite a lot of bandwidth each month.

At the same time we have some who use just a few MB also ;).

Out of our customers, about 2% get close to or over their bandwidth limits over a year. It doesn't happen much, and the small couple who do generally do it each and every month, thus work out custom bandwidth agreements.

I always laugh when I see people offering 100TB plans, etc. knowing that people will get it because it looks better, but all they do is use 100GB a month. I really don't understand how people can get "suckered" into paying more for resources they'll never need.

The only time in my life I've ever had a personal server use a lot of bandwidth was when I ran a Gaming Community and we had 5 servers on a dedicated box. We pushed to about 80% monthly due to servers being full 24/7.

Like others, we have customers that come close to their limits and some that barely even use 1%. It all depends on the material and content they are serving up. Our streaming solutions, dedicated servers and cloud are unmetered on 100Mbps. We do that because many clients prefer not to be tied by limits and don't want to be monitoring it all the time to see if they are getting close.

How many of you get close to your bandwidth limit?
Out of every host I have had that has a set bandwidth limit I use around 10% on average of my bandwidth limit. I have only once gotten close to the limit and that was because of a slide show glitch on my gallery. well maybe not a glitch but a feature. Any way it allowed you to start a slide show and it would not stop going through all the images until you told it to. There was a slide show that run for over a month and that got me close to the bandwidth limit.

I have never once gone above it though. Just last month I only used 11% of my bandwidth. That is out of 250GB.

It always depends on your work loads. You should not have a difficulty ever if it is unmetered.

I myself use less than 1 GB of space on every personal website I run and manage, and around 10-20 GB of bandwidth.. ;)

Looking at our stats, I do see 90% of all our customers are using less than 10% of their bandwidth limit and 5% of their disk space allocation. Although, we do try to educate our customers about paying for what they need only.. A lot of providers would simply lie to the customer when asked what plan they should get, and advise them to purchase the biggest, most expensive plan they offer...

when asked, I always tell a client the truth about most websites using less than 1 GB of disk space, which is why our smallest plan is also our most popular. Doing this shows them the kind of character I have, and pretty much guarantees the client will stick with us when in need of an upgrade for more disk space or bandwidth in the future, instead of running over to another host that's offering 100 TB for $1.. :smash:

We find 99% of our clients never even get close to there limits, the remaining 1% have the option of purchasing addons, I would say that of the 1% that get near to the limits 70% of them are new(3month or less) clients..
So in real terms all the established clients in general never get close as they usually have a realistic approach to their bandwidth requirements.