Beginner server question..

ChrisPHM

I am looking to purchase a reliable, small server I can set up at home. Basically, just to host a few websites.

One of my websites has an integrated PHP email script that I use for Email marketing purposes. After 13 years I have a pretty large database to send newsletters to, and I was wondering what would be a good little server that would support what I want to do, which is to be able to host my site and send unlimited emails?

Is there any other equipment I need besides the email server? Please go easy, as I'm brand new to this ;)

P.S. If anyone has anything like this that I can buy direct from you, I'm open to that.

Thanks

Chris

Before answering this question have you confirmed with your ISP that you can send "unlimited" emails from home?

P.S. If anyone has anything like this that I can buy direct from you, I'm open to that.

Chris, please note that as per rules of this forum, hosting companies cannot provide their offers (not publicly nor via PM). They can only do that if you open a request in the Web Hosting Requests forum below:

http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/web-hosting-requests/

If you receive offer(s) from any members, please report them to moderators or me personally.

He's not asking for hosting, he's asking to purchase hardware. Not sure if he can do that out here, just thought I'd clarify he wasn't looking for hosting, but rather goods.

I would definitely triple check with your ISP that sending high volume e-mails won't get picked off as spamming by them. You still run the risk of services like Yahoo picking on you, but at least you will be able to send, even if they aren't received properly by everyone.

I add my voice to the others' here: check with your ISP first, to make sure they won't shut down your outgoing traffic. Depending on their service offerings, restrictions, et al, they may require you to upgrade to business-level connectivity if you intend to do something like this. (That's assuming you haven't already spoken with your ISP.)

My servers are Dell, which isn't really "small". You might want to check the local computer shops in your area - places that will custom-build your hardware. Go in with the specs you want, do competitive pricing, the whole works.

Do have such things done at home you need a lot to have done and as someone said here you need to have permission about emails. I believe your ISP will recommend you look for the web hosting provider for that.

I can recommend you to use not big dedis from AYKsolutions.com. They offer to use them for the first month free. Their specials will fit your needs.

Is there a reason you'd rather manage your own server ran than use a web host??..

Definitely check with your ISP as you will need a static IP for your server.. Most home connections use Dynamic IP's... And as mentioned above, they might restrict outgoing mass emails..