Best free forum software?

The best free forum software in my opinion would definitely be MyBB, had a hell of a lot of experience with it and it's pretty neat and easy to edit and develop skins from experience.

However the best paid forum software is most definitely vBulletin. But in my opinion, MyBB does have a better Admin CP and Mod CP over vBulletin, however vBulletin seems to have better frontend forum functions.

Check out Kunena Forum, its an extension for joomla but its free and best of all very easy to manage/set up. Heres an example of Kunena <URL removed>

I prefer PhpBB and vbulletin forums software to create forums website because they provide very nice functionality and features.

I have used smf and really liked it. It uses far less cpu cycles then some of the paid ones. So if you want a free one smf is good.

I have heard about AEF through an old cms that is not longer made called mkportal. I have not used it my self though. It looks good though.

phpbb is one I disliked and I forgot why.

mybb was good when I used it. I think it lacked a few features I wanted but again I forgot what those were. I have not tried it in a few years.

The forum that is built into the cms called ocportal is free. last time I used it was over 2 years ago. It was causing high cpu loads. I have no idea if it still uses a lot of cpu cycles or not. I am actually thinking about using the cms part of it again. I should find out at that point.

I think phpBB is the best free forum software but there are many out there, If you have the time to test them then its best to download and setup each one and play around and see it if fits your needs.

Generally web software with a active community is a good sign that its stable and there is help there if you need it.