Best open source CMS!!!!

ssluser

Hi,

there are many open source CMS available today mainly Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, oscommerce, zen-cart etc...everyone has its own specialty....but which is the best among them overall.......

I would add http://www.concrete5.org/ to the list (previously offered commercially, they went open source a few months ago).

Its a tough one to answer my friend. They are all different CMS addressing different needs. There should probably be a poll for each category. :)

I think CMS’s are like the marmite situation, you either love or hate them. I’d say that I’m a Joomla fan as it’s the first robust CMS that I’ve had to use to great extent however I’m happy with 1.5 and think the new versions complicate things in an attempt to make the system more user friendly (newcomers) which is great though does take some getting used to.

Though wordpress is a great and easily expandable option for those new to sites or inexperienced at the more robust systems, very hard choice now with Joomla vs Wordpress and as such there is a lot of discussion :)

These all have pretty specific uses. Ie. Wordpress was designed for blogging, OSCommerce for shopping carts etc. So it is kind of hard to compare which is best

They all have their positives and negatives.

I have used Joomla for 5 years now and really like it but it is too big for small sites with little content.

Mark

Joomla fits majority of the needs. Never used Drupal myself but I heard it's nice as well, just a lot more complicated. Simple is good and I think Joomla is as simple as it gets with the features it comes with.

Undoubtedly wordpress.

It's the best documented and easiest to use / develop with - such as making themes and plugins.

Untill now WP is ahead but stiff competition between WP and Joomla. Little surprise as no votes for zencart and oscommerce....any specific reason guys???

Personally I prefer using wordpress. I find making themes for it is VERY easy, fast and very well documented. The CMS is easy enough that I can set it up and have a non technical person use it, but extensible enough that a technical person can extend it to meet just about any of their needs. Installing new (pre-made) themes, updating, installing new (approved) plugins, etc... are all done easily from within the CMS with no FTP or other knowledge required.

And even though it's designed for a blog, I've found its quite easy to use it for a more traditional site as well.

Definitely wordpress. Reasons:

1. Powerful with lots of functionalities
2. Ease of use, even for non-techies
3. Flexibility and ease in further development

For me the best open source CMS is Drupal. I have used WordPress before and I can create my own blog site for free and I can choose a template, a widget, a theme, a rich plugin architecture and more. The downside is WordPress has security vulnerabilities compared to Drupal where security is rock hard solid and got loads of modules, theme engines, translations and other options to choose from.

I don't think osCommerce or ZenCart should be included in this list, just like Magento shouldn't be. These are eCommerce solutions more than CMS solutions.

Joomla is nice, Drupal is nice Typo3 was great in it's day as was phpnuke - but Joomla and Drupal have been dominating in recent years.

Wordpress I don't consider it to be a CMS as much as I would lump it into a Blog. Granted it can be extended, but I think the other two do better in terms of true site Content Management Systems.

There are different uses for practically every cms.

Ecommerce:
Magneto Commerce
Prestashop
Zen Cart
OsCommerce
etc

Blogs
Movable Type
Wordpress

CMS
Expression Engine
Joomla
Drupal

I would say that every single cms has their pros and cons.