BlackBerry - Seeking Advice

Equentity Jamie

After a few months of saying I am going to get one, it really is time I went from 'saying' to 'doing'.

With any luck, I'll be popping down to my local T-Mobile and Vodafone stores tomorrow to speak with them, but I would much prefer to go in there armed with an ounce of knowledge about certain specifics, as to not come out feeling like I have just been robbed.

I have conversed with Simon a few times, as I noticed he uses a BlackBerry, so thank you Simon for that, you were most helpful. :thumbsup:

The basic reasons for me wanting a BlackBerry are simple, been a Web developer, as well as the director of a Web hosting company, means that I cannot guarantee I will be at the desk for the whole day, every day, there are often times when I'm away meeting a customer, or dealing with those lovely pub lunches we get around here. ;)

I need a way to stay in touch with my email, and more importantly, our servers. When a server goes down and I'm not at the desk, I need to know, if a customer submits a support ticket and it gets passed on to myself, I need to know.

It's also a handy way to surf all those forums that I frequent.

I plan on doing a lot of travelling next year, starting with a trip to Nova Scotia (Cough cough, Simon, :smash: ). This brings me nicely on to my first question. Where do I stand if I go abroad? Am I still able to receive email, surf the Web etc?

Usually, are there any costs involved in downloading and sending email?

I had so many questions a few days ago, but now they have all escaped my memory, I'm sure I'll have more for ya all tomorrow, but for those who have one, of have had one, I would love to hear your answers to the above.

On a side note, at the moment I'm looking at getting either the 7100t with T-Mobile, or the 7100v with Vodafone, it really depends which one comes with the best deal.

I've pondered about getting a blackberry for a long time, however when comparing it to a PDA or PPC I found that the PPC had a higher level of flexibility in terms of software and compatibility. For example you can subscribe via WiFi to any hotspot required at the time, and have seemless use of internet applications from the palmtop computer.

I'd recommend a PPC, however if you're looking for an all-round communication solution, a blackberry is the way to go (however it's generally an average piece of kit).

Equentity Jamie said:
Where do I stand if I go abroad? Am I still able to receive email, surf the Web etc?
It depends on your proivider. Many providers will have alliances with networks abroad to allow their customers to hop on. Virgin is a prime example of this, working in, thus far, 14 countries.

Usually, are there any costs involved in downloading and sending email?
No. That is if you do it the smart way. With a blackberry you will get a certain amount of email for free, so if you forward your regular email to yourname@uk.blackberry.net then you will have free email. There's also an add-on POP3 client that you can use, though data transfer, at your providers rates, will apply.

On a side note, at the moment I'm looking at getting either the 7100t with T-Mobile, or the 7100v with Vodafone, it really depends which one comes with the best deal.
I just got my replacement for my blackberry. It is the BlackBerry 7100g and it's a beauty. The main thing is better roaming and better compression. This leads to lower rates, which is always handy.

As you well know, I never go anywhere without my blackberry. For work and personal reasons.

Simon

It depends on your proivider. Many providers will have alliances with networks abroad to allow their customers to hop on. Virgin is a prime example of this, working in, thus far, 14 countries.
I see. When I went to Canada in August, I got a lovely "Welcome to Canada" message on my cell phone from T-Mobile, so I assume T-Mobile would work over there, I guess I will need to find out today which countries it can be used in.

No. That is if you do it the smart way. With a blackberry you will get a certain amount of email for free, so if you forward your regular email to yourname@uk.blackberry.net then you will have free email. There's also an add-on POP3 client that you can use, though data transfer, at your providers rates, will apply.
Ah ha, that makes sense. I suppose it will also give me a reason to clean up those 25 email accounts I have. :smash:

I just got my replacement for my blackberry. It is the BlackBerry 7100g and it's a beauty. The main thing is better roaming and better compression. This leads to lower rates, which is always handy.
The UK doesn't believe in been at the top of technology, at the moment, looking at the list of UK distributers that you gave me, Simon, I can only get my hands on the 7100t with T-Mobile, 7100x with O2, or the 7100v with Vodafone. Hey, even Turkey gets to use the 7100g before the UK public.

Last edited:
I sent an email in to Vodafone yesterday, asking them to call me. A very friendly lady just called to get my details, of which she is passing to my local store, and they will call me later today or tomorrow. She did ask if I will be needing international roaming, so I guess that's an addon to the package.

Sorry for the three posts in a row, I knew there was something else I was going to ask, and I just remembered what it was.

Does email, and web access rely on a signal, just like a cell phone signal? If so, I assume it is prone to be just as unreliable as cell phone signals are, right?

Equentity Jamie said:
Does email, and web access rely on a signal, just like a cell phone signal? If so, I assume it is prone to be just as unreliable as cell phone signals are, right?
It relies on your GSM/GPRS signal, yes.

You'll find the signal strength for PDA's to be much better than most cell phones, as the technology is a lot more advanced.

She did ask if I will be needing international roaming, so I guess that's an addon to the package.
Be careful with that. Some companies take you for a ride with roaming.

Our trip to Toronto ended up costing me $1900 in cell phone bills. Quite a shock, especially as it was meant to be $0.01 per minute :rolleyes2

Simon

Last edited:
Our trip to Toronto ended up costing me $1900 in cell phone bills. Quite a shcok, especially as it was meant to be $0.01 per minute

Ouch! That isn't the kind of money I want to be spending. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm just going to have to be very careful when purchasing a Blackberry, and make sure I know the price plan inside out.

Thanks for all your help Simon, it is very much appreciated.

Good topic, Jamie.

I've thought about getting a BB for a while now. Three reasons why I haven't.

First, I hardly ever leave my damned office, so what's the point??

Second, my fingers are so thick, and my eyesight is so bad close up, that I think it would be like micro-surgery to operate the BB.

And third, it was always my understanding that when receiving/sending from a BB, the recipient would see your BB address. That's not what I want. I want to be on the road, reply to an email using the BB, and appear as if I'm replying from my office. All seamless.

I was recently discussing this with one of my clients www.exchangemymail.com . He claims that when subscribing to his service, I can get the seamless appearance when replying to email.

(Sometimes, I feel so darned old, as I can't seem to wrap my head around these new technologies... :blush: )

Vito

vito said:
It's also good for "back yard workers" :D

Second, my fingers are so thick, and my eyesight is so bad close up, that I think it would be like micro-surgery to operate the BB.
I can't help you there, other than sending you a sander for your fingers and a magnifying glass.

And third, it was always my understanding that when receiving/sending from a BB, the recipient would see your BB address. That's not what I want. I want to be on the road, reply to an email using the BB, and appear as if I'm replying from my office. All seamless.
If you use the add-on mail client, you can easily switch the SMTP (and POP3) info to that of your own email address. The recipient would have no idea you're using a blackberry.

Simon

Thanks for the info, Simon.

Another concern I've always had was having all my email in one place. When reading or replying to an email on a BB, am I able to retrieve all that activity on my "main" computer once I get back home? I don't want to have my emails splintered between various tools. I want all email to be stored in one place - my main desktop. So how do I get all the activity from my BB transferred to it? Is it a simple matter of plugging the BB into my desktop and downloading?

Vito

vito said:
I want all email to be stored in one place - my main desktop. So how do I get all the activity from my BB transferred to it? Is it a simple matter of plugging the BB into my desktop and downloading?
Yes, with the blackberry anyway.

The Blackberry comes with a desktop communication device (doubles as a charger too). It allows you to migrate contacts, email and other information to and from the desktop. It also has a backup/restore function so your desktop can store a backup of your blackberry. Should anything happen to it, such as dropping your blackberry in the sink, you simply restore from your desktop :D

Simon

For those who are hosting industry pro's: The blackberry also has SSH capabilities, with a paid add-on.

Simon

vito said:

If I'm been totally honest, I'm in the same boat, but I tend to excuse this fact by saying for that 15% (or however much it is) of the time I am out of the office, then the sales from my 5 minute response times to emails pay for the Blackberry.

Vito said:

Well, I've always been a natural soccer goalkeeper, having not it been for a knee injury, I have been told by many I wouldn't be sat here on a computer but rather sat in my Porsche, signing signatures, as I drive in to the players entrance at a Premiership soccer teams stadium, so naturally, I have quite big hands. I have to say though, my vision makes up for that, so it's all good. :D

Vito said:

That is something I haven't thought about, but Simon answered it well, so it seems it is not something to worry about.

Vito said:
(Sometimes, I feel so darned old, as I can't seem to wrap my head around these new technologies... :blush: )

Take away the old part, Vito, and I'll agree with you. I have never got my head around PDA's, and other handheld devices, I never understood how they worked. The Internet is my home, I'm no hardware lover. ;)

Vito said:
Another concern I've always had was having all my email in one place. When reading or replying to an email on a BB, am I able to retrieve all that activity on my "main" computer once I get back home? I don't want to have my emails splintered between various tools. I want all email to be stored in one place - my main desktop. So how do I get all the activity from my BB transferred to it? Is it a simple matter of plugging the BB into my desktop and downloading?

I have a similar concern to this. Lets say I'm away from the office for the morning, and I receive 40 emails, I read them all, reply to them all. I then get back to the office, open up Opera and check my email, will those 40 emails I received still be downloaded on my office PC, or will I have to transfer them from the Blackberry to the PC? I assume in order to get the emails that I sent on to the PC, I would have to download them from the Blackberry, correct?

Simon said:
For those who are hosting industry pro's: The blackberry also has SSH capabilities, with a paid add-on.

Now that is fantastic! <Adds one more star next to the Blackberry on his list of things to buy>

Last edited:
Equentity Jamie said:
Lets say I'm away from the office for the morning, and I receive 40 emails, I read them all, reply to them all. I then get back to the office, open up Opera and check my email, will those 40 emails I received still be downloaded on my office PC, or will I have to transfer them from the Blackberry to the PC? I assume in order to get the emails that I sent on to the PC, I would have to download them from the Blackberry, correct?
You can download them from the blackberry, or select "leave messages on server" in your blackberry's pop client :)

Simon

I thought this may be useful for those interested in purchasing a Blackberry. This is taken from an Ebay auction.

The big selling point of the Blackberry handsets has always been 'Push email'. With the Blackberry option activated on your mobile account, you will be able to register a Blackberry email address to use with the handset. Any email sent to this address will arrive instantly on the handset, through the 'always-on' GPRS connection.
You can also set the handset up to receive mail from upto 10 existing email adresses. These accounts will however be polled at intervals of upto 15 mins, so mail sent to these accounts will not arrive instantly, as the Blackberry mail will. There are ways around this however, one of which is to forward all of your mail through an account such as GMail, and then from there, forward it all to the Blackberry Instant email address.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting