China executes frauders... Why can't we execute spammers?

eVPS

http://yin.typepad.com/the_yin_blog/law_corporate_crimes/

Just imagine a world without spam!

I just finished cleaning up a BRAND NEW server (wasn't even up 4-5 minutes) after it was attacked by Koreans running on 219.xx DSL before I had a chance to run Windows Update.

I've made a habit of blocking all ports but 3389 until the box is secure, but I've never had to do it within 5 minutes of initial boot!

Most of 219-220-221.XXX.XXX.XXX is now blocked at the firewall.

:devil:

Last edited:
I'm against killing/executing people until the day when the justice system will be perfect.

I do agree that spammers should be dealt with in a much more efficient way. So far, the people who are most hit by the anti-spam measures are those who are trying to run an honest business. Of course, that's just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Well, china / all the others seem like they do that a lot... I don't know why the hell these people wanna do that **** here.

I mean, whats the point?

ldcdc said:
I'm against killing/executing people until the day when the justice system will be perfect.

Never gonna happen. I'm perfectly willing to see a few innocents caught in the line of fire to stop the guilty..... guess I wouldn't make a good politician. At least not in the US.

I would have to agree to an extent.

The question would be, where is the line in that belief drawn.

I used to believe that full heartedly. Until someone I loved (my father) was arrested for something he didn't do (not a crime related to this topic).

Then my views slightly changed.

I still believe this theory to an extent, because the system will never be perfect.

Never gonna happen.
I don't think it will either. :)

I'm perfectly willing to see a few innocents caught in the line of fire to stop the guilty.....
This happens anyway. I didn't say we need no justice system until it will be perfect. Doing time when you're innocent is bad enough IMO. I just don't think we should kill people when we know that statistically there are some chances we might be wrong about convincting him/her.

As Mark suggested, anyone can be the victim of an imperfect justice system. I don't want such victims to be executed, that's all.

The problem with spam

The problem with the SPAM isn't so much the sheer annoyance of sifting through your mailbox to find the real mail, it's that you get these guys that are phishing for information -- surely enough thousands of people fall prey to these tactics daily.

Something MUST be done about spam.

Oh and just to clarify, I was not saying that I agree with China executing these people. Nobody has the right to take another's life. Perhaps a joke in poor taste, but a joke nonetheless.

Thanks for clearing it up!

My take : Not execution but very strict laws...I say "Hit them where it hurts" and that is money...Maybe confiscations would work and when i say confiscations i mean seriously compromising the "fuel" of some of these people which is money.Of course the same should be applied to fraudulent politicians :D

If you confiscate their belongings and empty their accounts at bank will they be doing fraud again? I guess not..For those people money lost hurts more and more prolonged than life lost...

I don't think anyone should be exeuted for something like spamming. I'm sure this statement by China has already affected alot of spammers. At least the rest have been warned.

I think that China is the heaven for spammers, most of the RBL already put them to the list and most of the emails coming out from China are automatically discharged.

Well, executing a spammer isn't useful, the only possible way should be better network regulation in China

I would have to say that a more effective way of dealing with spammers, is to lock them up, make them learn how to code in PHP, VB, C++, etc, and then MAKE them create more effective spam blocking/filtering software, based on their knowledge of the industry tricks and secrets. Basically, make them work for their freedom.

The state should test the software before the spammer's release. :D

I would say executing someone is pretty extreme, but Jail time is a must for spammers. I would also add hackers to that list.

jswf, it looks like you beat me to it. I was away to post that very thing :D

While I doubt western democracies will bring in penalties as tough as the death sentence for spammers, the nine year jail term outlined above certainly shows how things are getting tougher for the spamming community.

I certainly think this is a win-win situation for those of us trying to run honest businesses and who wake up each morning to tens if not hundreds of spam messages in their inboxes.

I hope some of the spammers out their will take note of this court's ruling. I just hope it doesn't get overturned at appeal... :)

- Chris

Imprisonment is the starting line to cutting back spam; if spammers know the punishments are real, they'll take more notice.

Skilling and Lay should have had stronger penalties for their crimes. Spammers shouldn't be executed but they should have extremely strong penalties for their crimes nevertheless. Just because it's so much easier to send out mass e-mails than shoving paper e-mail in physical mailboxes doesn't mean the penalty should be higher.

It means that the problem just doesn't have the right solution yet and we're all frustrated by that.

Roj

I wouldn't vote for them being executed. Jail time would be more reasonable punishment. Why would you kill a person for that reason?

I don't have that much of a problem with the concept of spam at all. It's an irritation, sure, but if a legitimate (however small) company is trying to offer me a legitimate product, and give me good value for money, I can ignore them with a happy heart.

My problem is that most spammers are offering trash, if they're not deliberately trying to rip me off. This makes it more than an irritation - it's an attempt at robbery, and should be punished as such.