Choice of Ads?

Vivelee

One of the free webhosts I use give me the option to select a certain type of ad for my website so the hosting stays free.

My options are:

A pop up ad when someone comes to the site or to one of my pages

A banner ad at the top or bottom of all my webpages

or

A pop-under ad when someone comes to the site or to one of my pages

Would a simple banner ad be the best choice for my website since it's not as annoying as the other two?

Well, all the options are annoying. :) Though, I agree with Conor that the banners are the most tolerable among the three. Some people like surprises while the others don't, but most people hate surprises like pop-up and pop-under ads.

Between the two, I would definitely go for a plain banner. However, to be honest, I would change the provider - there are a lot of advertising-free free hosting providers.

I tend to agree with changing providers, followed by banner if you must choose. On the other hand, though, most people nowadays are using popup blockers, so maybe the popup would be not so bad a choice ;)

Pop-ups are terrible, and I think pop-unders are even more annoying. Banners aren't very annoying. They are on virtually every web site nowadays. Go with the banners.

If I had to choose I'd go with A banner ad at the top or bottom of all my webpages but if this website is really important I'd highly recommend investigating paid web hosting providers.

Jack

I hate pop ups so much that I almost immediately leave the web site that presents me with one. Go with banners and pray to God that they are not animated. :)

I hate pop ups so much that I almost immediately leave the web site that presents me with one. Go with banners and pray to God that they are not animated. :)
I love web hosting directories where every host's ads are animated. There's like twenty blinking ads down the right ... :D

I can still see the arguement for exit pop ups on certain types of sites, particularly those that depend on impulse buying.

Banner are going to be the best but I agree you should look to change hosts because there are so many free hosting offering no forced ads.

I love web hosting directories where every host's ads are animated. There's like twenty blinking ads down the right ... :D

Yeah, it's like Saturday Night Fever all over again. :shaky: But I do admit, sometimes animated banners can work better than plain stand-in-the-corner-doing-nothing image ads. But just not in this case. :disagree:

If you don't want to change hosting providers, use a banner ad. Pop up and under ads drive people crazy.

Steve H, exit pop ups guarantee I will never go to that site again. I really hate them.

On the other hand, though, most people nowadays are using popup blockers, so maybe the popup would be not so bad a choice ;)

As I said before, I hate pop-up ads, but you have a good point Silk. :) The problem is that though the browser has blocked the ads, the user will still know that your website has tried to display the annoying ads. That's not good for your website's reputation.

As I said before, I hate pop-up ads, but you have a good point Silk. :) The problem is that though the browser has blocked the ads, the user will still know that your website has tried to display the annoying ads. That's not good for your website's reputation.

For example, in Opera browser pup-ups are blocked by default. Although Opera displays a small notification in the right bottom corner it is pretty hard to notice this info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123