Cloud Denial?

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
I read an interesting article predicting the ‘evaporation’ of most current data centers into the cloud, at a much faster rate than most would suspect. It went on in-depth to describe how most data centers were inefficient.

The underlying reason given for widespread data center demise was the spread of two competing 4G wireless standards, WiMAX and LTE, delivering broadband Internet to remote locations resulting in true mobile broadband connectivity to cars, busses and trains.

I, for one, welcome upgrades in technology. Coming from the days of NO Internet to shades of acoustic couplers and 56K dialup connections, I now enjoy 10Mbps connectivity, up and down at my home.

Data centers are a brick and mortar technology resistant to evaporation.

The cost to build out a data center ranges in the millions of dollars. The difference in capital expenditures (CAPEX) and operating expenditures (OPEX) essentially is that CAPEX is tightly tied to asset depreciation (brick and mortar). While OPEX relates more closely to cloud computing, and is typically easier to dial up and down, the existing data center industry continues to strive and grow.

When the article was written, the price per barrel of oil was $140.00. With our current global recession, the price of energy has shifted dramatically.

What I envision are widespread advancements on both fronts, data centers and cloud computing.

Well I think the grand catalyst for the cloud is economic efficiency driven particularly by "greenness." There really has been a backlash at datacenters in general for their power consumption. While not the most eco-conscious soul, there is merit in using less power to get the job done both from an economic and green perspective. Saving Money = Good and Green = Good PR = (theoretically) More Money.

Enter the still-fledgling cloud. The current technology is really unlike anything this Earth has ever seen. Humans have, for the most part, moved forward in development of technology since the first technologies were developed. Witness the progression of stone, to bronze, to iron and so forth as one small example. The current technological advancement pace is simply so rapid it almost boggles the mind; it will only speed up as times passes, as well. It would be like them developing the aforementioned tools in the span of a decade or a few years. Of course the technology would become inefficient, relative to the new stuff. The tribe using stone tools would fall to the tribe using iron or even bronze. Similarly, new technology will replace old technology. The unique catch is that there will be more initial costs with this new technology.

I, for one, think that the cloud is an evolutionary phase. I don't think we're done with new technology by a longshot, and virtualization certainly cannot be overlooked. I believe both concepts will sort of breed a new super computer, something that we've not yet dreamed about.

The end result will be cheaper technology and cheaper resources. It will be interesting how the dynamics change. For instance, could you imagine an entire datacenter requiring only the capacity of a small office room? It sounds like science fiction, but how many times have we as humans said that before?

The problem (and there is a very real one coming) is how do web hosts stay relevant? How will this new field change the way we do business and the way customers do business with us? Answer those, and you'll find success.

We certainly live in interesting times. We look back over the last couple decades, I basically look at it like similar progressions will begin to occur within shorter timespans. (Think about how much costs have come down -- even during the energy cost upswing.) Not only will those costs eventually return, but what about new Carbon legislation and the like?

I tell you one thing, in all of this technology, individuals and organizations will have to become multidisciplinary to function, IMHO. How much is that going to factor into all of this? A lot, I think. We humans have to keep up with this new technology.