cPanel vs Plesk

shiyu.chen

This probably has been asked by many. What is the difference between cPanel or Plesk? Which would be easier to use in terms of managing it.

cPanel ( an excellent control panel ) is ONLY for Linux Servers. Plesk can be used for both Linux and Windows.

Both offer excellent features. Plesk is a bit cheaper.

Panel is a Linux-based Web-hosting control panel with an easy-to-use graphical interface and automation tool suite designed to make website hosting simpler to manage. cPanel is designed with a three-tier structure. Its functionality is tailored to suit the needs of administrators, reseller and end-user website managers, with server administration and website management controlled through a Web browser. cPanel is possibly the most popular and stable control panel solution.

The Plesk Web Host Edition offers hosting service providers the ability to configure and maintain Windows or Linux servers. Service Provider Management has simple controls to create subscription packages for resellers, customers and individuals. Bundled Word Press supportability tools make use of Plesk 12.5 enhanced server-to-site security features, which are useful for shared hosting. Unlimited accounts and domains are supported.

This probably has been asked by many. What is the difference between cPanel or Plesk? Which would be easier to use in terms of managing it.
Cpanel
1.It is linux based.
2.Enables users to set up most CMSs with simple installers.
Plesk
1.It is both linux and windows based.
2.Supports most popular CMSs and provides installers for them.

Last edited:
Plesk is a bit cheaper.

Not really an unlimited Plesk licence is dearer than cPanel.

cPanel gives you unlimited domains for a single fee.

Plesk gives staged licences

cPanel licence for VPS is £11.37 a month ($15) for unlimited domains

Plesk Licence for VPS

10 domains £9.16 a month ($12)
30 domains £13.75 a month ($18.15)
Unlimited domains £41.25 a month ($54.42)

cPanel and Plesk are most commonly used control panel in the world. Plesk panel supports various Linux distributions and windows too. Both control panels organized in different ways in feature listing, security model and terminology.

In terms of management, either is relatively easy, meaning the learning curve is not steep.

I've heard that Plesk has a larger market share in Europe than in USA. So if rumour is true, offer Plesk if providing services in Europe. Both are easy to use except all the different price structures Plesk has...

Both are great control panels and have almost all features available in plesk same as in cPanel. The price is less for Plesk is the only difference. Also, the user interface is not similar. If you are already using cPanel and you may experience little bit difficulty when you switch to plesk, for example the SSL installation.

Both are great control panels and have almost all features available in plesk same as in cPanel. The price is less for Plesk is the only difference. Also, the user interface is not similar. If you are already using cPanel and you may experience little bit difficulty when you switch to plesk, for example the SSL installation.

I heard elsewhere that Plesk was recently hiked up to ~47% or something from their previous pricing scheme to all of their licensing products.

Yeah - right, the pricing got changed, I feel according to the current pricing, startups >> enterprise companies can able to buy the licence.

Yeah - right, the pricing got changed, I feel according to the current pricing, startups >> enterprise companies can able to buy the licence.

It's not that, it just weird how they just hiked it up so much. Someone even claimed of being with them for 12 years and axing them. Which seems to me that they won't even grandfather the older customers to begin with.

It's not that, it just weird how they just hiked it up so much. Someone even claimed of being with them for 12 years and axing them. Which seems to me that they won't even grandfather the older customers to begin with.

They don't care about their customers - they care about money. They know that it's a pain/a lot of work to migrate from their platform to another and that more people will simply eat the added cost than will leave over it.

Even if a percentage of their clients leave over the price hikes enough of them will stay that it will be a net gain for them.

They don't care about their customers - they care about money. They know that it's a pain/a lot of work to migrate from their platform to another and that more people will simply eat the added cost than will leave over it.

Even if a percentage of their clients leave over the price hikes enough of them will stay that it will be a net gain for them.

The move isn't that hard with migration features found in Cpanel and a few other commercial hosting panels correct?

The only "real" problem I heard if your running on Windows server OS. But as far as Linux goes, people are just packing their bags.

The move isn't that hard with migration features found in Cpanel and a few other commercial hosting panels correct?
It's more than just the migration itself. Let's say you're a Plesk host and your clients are used to Plesk and all of your documentation is written for Plesk. Furthermore your staff are familiar with and trained on the usage of Plesk.

There's a lot more to it than simply making the change. Re-tooling your documentation, re-training your staff, and then helping your customers understand the changes/differences and how to make use of a totally new control panel for which they may or may not have any familiarity at all.

So yes I am sure there are those running Plesk on Linux that are migrating to cPanel - but I am sure there are a lot of providers that it's not so simple a task to completely change their underlying control panel.

It's more than just the migration itself. Let's say you're a Plesk host and your clients are used to Plesk and all of your documentation is written for Plesk. Furthermore your staff are familiar with and trained on the usage of Plesk.

There's a lot more to it than simply making the change. Re-tooling your documentation, re-training your staff, and then helping your customers understand the changes/differences and how to make use of a totally new control panel for which they may or may not have any familiarity at all.

So yes I am sure there are those running Plesk on Linux that are migrating to cPanel - but I am sure there are a lot of providers that it's not so simple a task to completely change their underlying control panel.

That's life, if a business cannot be ready to make changes then they cannot withstand the ever changing climate of the industry.

That's life, if a business cannot be ready to make changes then they cannot withstand the ever changing climate of the industry.
That's a bit generic. I'd argue that most quality providers are willing and ready to make changes. That said changing basically the entire platform is not a small change and not something that most providers are prepared for.

I mean let's say cPanel disappeared tomorrow - what would providers do? Do you think cPanel providers are prepared to change to another panel? I'd venture to argue that most haven't even considered it.

It's always good to try and plan for everything even things you don't think could happen but there is a point where you're spending energy planning things that are so unlikely to happen that you could better spend that energy in other ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting