Credibility in host reviews?

craigjb

First, I'm a relative novice as a web designer. I have completed a few paid projects, but I am now in the midst of my first foray into ecomerce site design. I have done and am continuing some extensive self education and have found the predictable stumbling block encountered in almost all internet serachers. 1) There is allot of information out there. 2) Some of it is actually credible.

Any search gives me many, many web host review sites. Being skeptical by nature I avoid many dubious looking sites and am unsure of others. I'm increasingly confounded by reviews, whether by panels or individuals, that vary wilidly from one to the next.

I've assembled the following critera thus far in my evalations of web hosting review sites. I imagine the list will continue to grow. I would greatly appreciate any additions or comments.

1) All review sites should explicitly state that they do not accept advertisements from reviewed hosts. (I've actually seen numeous sites which are flagrantly hypocritical on this claim).
2) Review sites should have more than just a top 5 or 10 listing. There should be evidence that they actually evaluated many sites, not just the most popular.
3) All reviews should be clearly dated.
4) Reviews from customers should be taken in the context of other customer reviews. In short, one unsatisfied or gushing customer just does not cut it. Especially when comments are heavily one sided or poorly worded.
5) Reviews should be wholistic. A so called excellent host that has poor customer service is NOT an excellent host! I have encountered many many reviews that are heavily one sided, I find it hard to believe that even the best hosts have no drawbacks.
6) Ratings compiled from a clearly delineated panel with explicit critera are most useful.

Any additions from the more experienced pros out there?
Any one have positive experinces with reviewers who meet these criteria?

Thanks!

I really don't know of any unbiased review site.
I doubt that you will find one of substance. These sites require money to operate and that money is generated by advertising dollars. A hosting company isn't going to spend advertising money in a place where they have a low rating.
You will notice a trend on who are the "Top" hosts on these review sites. They always seem to be the same and they always seem to be the ones who get the most complaints from real customers on forums.

The vast majority of the review sites are owned by hosts who conveniently have their site ranked number one. The rest are simply the more you pay, the higher your host gets rated.

wow, guess even more cynicism is warrented than I feard.
Has anyone checked out webhostmagazine.com? Seems better than most anyways.

I assume the best way to evaluate performance is just to keep checkin out message boards like this one then?

Thanks for the replies

I think it depends on the type of review site. Sites which offer 'Top 10 Hosting Reviews' or 'We Review the 10 Best Hosts', I take the information on these with a pinch of salt. Nine times out of ten the reviews are written by the webmaster and are just affiliate links.

However sites like webhostmagazine.com and webhostratings.com are allot better, they can give you more of an insight into the service that the host provides.

Although there is always someone that is going to try and cheat the system, either by reviewing their own company or writing a negative review for a competitor. Thats why I would never recommend you choose a host solely based on a review that you have read on a site like these, however I think they can be useful tool when choosing a host.

I don't think that there will be any substitution for site like hostingdiscussion.com, to get others opinions on a certain host.

At the end of the day you are not going to find the perfect host for everybody.

Yeah,

When looking for a webhost, Ill post a request in a forum like this. I will then let each member reply with their offers,

Only then I know they are an active forum member, lets face it, if they screw you from a community like this, they they are screwed

THEN I search for articles in that same forum about them, and see how everything was handled.

We can usually expect 1-5 in 50 reviews to be bad, some people just dont know what they are doigng abd blame the host.

There are a few sites out there that provide reviews and do not accept advertising from these companies in question. As you said, that is the thing to watch out for.

Good luck in your search.. and yes, forums like this are the best source for real "true stories", and information.

I wouldn't trust these reviews. I'm a web host and all I have to do is register a bunch of fake handles on here and post with them saying that my hosting company is the best, etc. etc... Get what I'm saying? I wouldn't trust review sites. You should look at how long they have been in business, how good their customer service is, etc.