CSF vs APF

I think the general consensus across web hosting forums is that CSF has better integration with cPanel and is easier to administer.

I only ever worked with CSF over the years - before moving to hardware firewall systems. We still have it on some VPS machines.

EDIT: Actually, no, I take that back. I didn't remember that APF was part of the R-FX Networks.

I found an old post, here on Hosting Discussion that actually talked about our experience with APF and that we stopped using it back in 2006 - https://www.hostingdiscussion.com/h...help-configuring-apf-firewall.html#post141080

I also found a post from November 2006 on WHT that says we changed from APF to CSF on 27 over our servers back in November 2006.

I think once CSF became a solid solution, many people made the jump.

Last edited:
My vote's with CSF. Its integration with WHM/cPanel, not to mention there's a WHMCS module for customers to unblock themselves. It's been rolled into a complete solution.

I also like to install Fail2Ban and employ bitninja wherever possible. Oh, and don't forget to change your default SSH port, unless you like logging into your boxes and it shows thousands of failed login attempts since you logged in yesterday lol.

CSF is by far the better solution, and the developers are all over new threats and stuff with their other solutions, so it's always nearer the cutting edge features whilst offering rock solid reliability.
They natively support cPanel and DirectAdmin, so it's a nobrainer.