CSN-UK Home/splash page V2?

csn-uk

CSN-UK | Charlie
Our homepage for sometime has been somewhat of an bone of contention for us, be it in terms of conformity to the current industry look and feel that users expect, the content in terms of too much or simply a lack of eye candy/shiny things.

As a result for a number of months now we've been tinkering with numerous layouts, banners, column numbers and JavaScript libraries to find something that fits with our look and feel, after selecting the best bits of sites or designs that pushed our buttons and mimicking their function :shh:.

The child of this process in its unrefined form resembles : http://www.csn-uk.net/demo/ (including JavaScript login form:))

Which does currently have a number of stock images/content and a number of changes yet to be made, in terms of content and code (JavaScript compatibility with IE :().

What do you think VS the original http://www.csn-uk.net/ ? :D

I think both sites are extremely professional and both would work well. Kudos. In terms of preference, I would select the new version - based on first impressions. :D

I think both sites are extremely professional and both would work well. Kudos. In terms of preference, I would select the new version - based on first impressions. :D

Thanks for the feedback Steve, always appreciated :), hopefully when IE gets dragged into line kicking and screaming :smash: we should be able to make the transition.

Hi Charlie, I've been pondering about how to best answer, but I am afraid I cannot say that I like either version too much. Neither design grasps my attention, neither design inspires. I understand that while you care about the quality of the operation and content a lot more than the look of the site, but from a customer perspective, I want to see a gorgeous and clean storefront as well - for that first impression to last.

Structurally, the body layout is much better with the new version in my view. However, the header with the logo needs complete change. I think the site can look fantastic, but you need to bring in someone who can develop a design that will immediately stand out. Something trendy, subtle, information rich and structurally solid.

I came across a lot of talented designers at www.talkfreelance.com. I can suggest you a few people if you are up for it.

Hi Charlie, I've been pondering about how to best answer, but I am afraid I cannot say that I like either version too much. Neither design grasps my attention, neither design inspires. I understand that while you care about the quality of the operation and content a lot more than the look of the site, but from a customer perspective, I want to see a gorgeous and clean storefront as well - for that first impression to last.

Structurally, the body layout is much better with the new version in my view. However, the header with the logo needs complete change. I think the site can look fantastic, but you need to bring in someone who can develop a design that will immediately stand out. Something trendy, subtle, information rich and structurally solid.

I came across a lot of talented designers at www.talkfreelance.com. I can suggest you a few people if you are up for it.

Thanks for the reviews everyone :), certainly an interesting perspective Artahses we're not entirely sure if it could be down to the lack of colour currently used by the demo content which is something we are looking to change. Although this being secondary to the slider which has bemused many a developer alike currently with IE compatibility.

As for the banner/logo I'm not sure on the direction of change , although we and those we have asked are happy with it, it is the negative comments that generally tend to hold the true opinions, although csn-uk has an in-house design team we're always interested in outside designers perspectives of change.

Might nip over to the sister site in due course and get some opinions :)

Last edited:
Hard choice between the two, I think I would choose the "demo". Very professional websites none the less. Good job.