CSS and SEO

peter phillips

Is CSS beneficial and appropriate for search engine optimization? If yes then how it is beneficial?
Thanks in advance for all types of inputs.

I wouldn't say it's "beneficial" in the sense that it is no more effective than html for seo.
It is beneficial in the sense that it's far more efficient than html as far as web design goes.

When someone uses your content that creates many links back to your web site. however this is nota magic pill for the site popularity. Poeple will get your RSS only if you offer quality content.

cheers

aeromit said:
When someone uses your content that creates many links back to your web site. however this is nota magic pill for the site popularity. Poeple will get your RSS only if you offer quality content.

cheers
Aeromit, this thread is discussing CSS, not RSS. ;)

I would agree that I don't think CSS helps SEO directly - but it can help make your optimized pages still look pretty.

The best example I have for this I can think of would be the use of Header tags (h1, h2). Text in an h1 tag is viewed as very important in the major engines, but that h1 text tends to be huuge and clunky-looking; and frankly I can't stand the way they look on a site by default. A CSS style for header tags could be used to make all of your h1's look a whole lot more attractive than without, and (IMO) a lot less like a spammy SEO page.

Yeah CSS isn't really going to help SEO or anything like that but it's needed to be xhtml strict compliant among other things. So it's more of an appearance thing that is needed

Yes I think CSS is some what beneficial, as CSS enables you to position the code for your content at the top making your page search engine friendly. Properly marked up HTML pages can easily found and properly categorized by search engines.:)

With well written CSS, website maintenance tasks become much more easier compared to HTML sites Maintenance. Having less maintenence overheads allows you concentrate more on the content.

Good content gives you good ranks!!

Using css you make your html code smaller, and can focus on the content. I prefer block css coding to table HTML coding. It helps me to save my time.

I don't think CSS per se will help you with SEO but it does allow you to structure your HTML document in a way that is good for the search engines and properly marked up documents and then allows you to layout your pages that look nice to the visitors.

I think it does help with SEO in some ways as others have described. You can position certain words/content blocks lower on the page, but with css you can make it appear to search engines that it is at the top.

Also, in the past people avoided using h1 and h2 and p tags because of the margins and other styles attached to them. With css you can use these tags appropriately and style them the way you want. The some search engines look for specific content in these areas for keywords and other data collection to rank and display your website.