Customers referring others to your hosting company

JamesCWilson

When you have a client who has been very pleased with your service, there is a decent chance that they may tell others about your hosting company, which in turn can lead to more customers. How often have you recieved additional customers this way, and have you ever had a single customer who went on to refer five or ten, or more people your way?

I have a few clients that referred their friends. All of which have been between 2-4 people each.

If you offer quality services then expect your cliens to refer their friends or family.

Actually this happens quite frequently - especially if you've developed a niche in your local community.

I know that I have referred people to various services, including my current host. If I am happy and know that the service could benefit someone I know, I like to share that information. I've also been known to promote my host on forums occasionally when the topic comes up.

The majority of our business growth is word of mouth. It's the best form of advertising as not only is it free, but it's coming from a trusted source. Offering an affiliate program helps, but we have a number of people that post in blogs, send friends and business clients to our service and expect nothing in return other than continued good service.

When I do recomendations of things myself I prefer not to be on an affiliate program as then the review is MY view, and not just something I'm pushing on clients so I can make a buck. I also don't advertise anything on my websites that I have not or do not personally use. It's why we don't have a page listing design companies offering affiliate and payouts ;)

People tend to listen to other people more often then they would listen to one of your ads. ;)

Word of mouth and testimonials are by far THE BEST form of advertising known to man!

Last edited:
I have had a number of clients who would then go on to refer some of their friends, with one even referring about five different people to me!

The better you treat your customers, the more rewarding it will be for both you and them :)

We have many clients that all come from referrals, another great reason we have an affiliate program. You can help people get great service and make a little money on the way :)

For me, the true referrals always come from happy clients. Happy clients usually will always refer no customers and purchase additional service.

We tried doing the affiliate program thing. What it came down fto is the affiliates did not sell anything because they were just sticking banner ads up. The customers who were already referring didn't want anything to do with the affiliate program. So, the only person who was making money was the affilaite service provider. :)

I would prefer to throw a bill credit on to a clients account every once awhile as a thank you for being a good client then you have just made us meet sales quotas for the month.

We find that customers who are already in the hosting business tend to resell services vs. recommend them, it’s quite entertaining searching around and finding your EXACT plans listed existing customer sites.

To echo what has been said in this thread, word of mouth is the best and the king. Best way to grow your business.

I find word of mouth is the best prmotion method for a host than any other. Its one thing seeing an Ad for a wbe host on google, it another to be told by a friend for example that this good etc.

Most of our clients have come from word of mouth. Just provide a solid service to them and they will return the favor.

I assume that is enough to do what are you doing: deliver the best as possible quality to your customers and soon you will be recommended by them if they are happy about what you are doing for them

If you are providing Quality and reliable hosting, you doesn't want to worry about anything. Also you can ask your customers to have there own reviews as open so that everyone in this business should know what you are providing!:smash:

I had a customer recommend a new customer of her's every month for about three years. It was a good relationship. :p I no longer work for that company though, that has affected her sending new sales to them. :-(

Word of mouth is good Yes! Advertising is still vital... No one I knew hosted anything, so relying on reviews adverts etc was the only way forward. It is hit and miss, but you eventually find the right host or become it!

Providing incentives for referring new customers helps as well such as an affiliate program however, if your service is good enough, people will refer others regardless of incentives.