Datacenters you've been to?

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
I don't own a hosting company (never did and don't think I will), so my interest in visiting some datacenters was purely out of personal curiosity to better understand the industry.

I have visited 2 datacenters in my life:

Peer1 Network in Montreal (twice during the web hosting parties that we organized in Montreal). I was very impressed with the whole setup, especially that they are located in a skyscraper office building (it was a bit unusual to me). Both times they mixed us some drinks, too. :shh:

iWeb Technologies in Montreal. Now this reminded me of a real datacenter as they had the whole building for themselves. A huge room almost packed with servers (they are building another one in Montreal area), nice office on the second floor, plenty of people running around...

I'm looking forward to see Jeff's GNAX datacenter someday that he also advertises in TheWHIR.

So which datacenters have you visited before?

Best,

I have visited the Inflow Portland Data Center. Although i have not visited other data centers but i would like to visit some more later on.

Thanks
- James

I personally have not visited any datacenters due to the current 'under-saturation' in the Australian web hosting industry, however I look forward to paying a visit to the Equinix Datacenter based in Sydney, which I've been hearing so much about. Seems to be only 45 minutes or so away from me.

I seem to spend my entire life in DataCentres :(

Side effect of having our office and main NOC in one, satelite POPs in 2 others and a support company providing services to clients in 5 others in London...

In "ranking" of facilities/building/service ...
Interhouse III
GlobalSwitch2
GlobalSwitch1
Telecity
Interhouse II
Interhouse I
Telehouse North
Telehouse East

I've actually visited a datacenter, didn't look around much. But it was may more different that I expected. Tons of systems operating, it was nuts. Anyways the datacenter was in florida. I can't really remember the name. If I do find out, (remember) I'll edit, or post it.

I've visited the following:

PAIX
Abovenet
XO
Peer1
Space Park
and of course, our own :)

I used to work for a Colo hosting company that had a cage at Abovenet. Not the friendliest of datacenters - no one bothers talking to you. It's like everyone is in their own little world. That might just be the case :)

I personaly like the colo we use now which is 56 MARIETTA located in Atlanta, GA also been to a few others:

Data Foundry - Austin, TX
OnRamp - Austin, TX
Austindev - Austin, TX
theplanet - Houston, TX

I've been to eSolutions in Tampa, FL. It's pretty nice. Multiple floors in a hurricane-resistant building, which is important in Florida.

I've actually visited a datacenter, didn't look around much. But it was may more different that I expected. Tons of systems operating, it was nuts. Anyways the datacenter was in florida. I can't really remember the name. If I do find out, (remember) I'll edit, or post it.

Where in Florida? I might know of it.

There are two local ones for me, not real biggies but were interesting to visit. The local ISP here started a small one (and I mean "tiny" when I say small) it was interesting to see the way they were trying to expand their company, but I was not uber impressed, esp. with their rates they wanted to charge.

The other place is Immedion, which wasnt bad at all and tons better than the ISP dinky place.

SAVVIS / Infomart / Databank

Been to all three. I was most impressed with SAVVIS. Mainly due to the security systems in place.

I have also been to one in Chicago but can't recall the name of it.

It was nice, but still not as good as SAVVIS in Dallas.

I am in AIT's datacenter all the time, every week and sometimes several times a week. They have a very large facility overall, 3 stories tall at about 93,000 sq ft.

I've been to several datacenters:

EasyNews - PureGig
Deru Communications
IODatacenters

EasyNews is pretty nice. Very simple, and clean.