Dedicated Servers

storminternetuk

Hey server enthusiasts! Let's talk dedicated servers—the titans of the hosting world.
What are you hosting on your dedicated server? Websites, game servers, and complex databases! And what makes your dedicated server setup unique? Custom software, specific security measures, or resource optimisation.

We currently run SolusVM v2 on our dedicated servers and use them for virtualization. We also run Multicraft and Pterodactly on a couple of nodes for game servers.

Thanks for sharing your current setup! SolusVM v2 is a great choice for virtualization, and I'm curious to hear more about how you're using Multicraft and Pterodactyl for your game servers. What kind of games do you support?

We use Multicraft for Minecraft and Pterodactly for everything else, including Rust, ARK, Valheim, Terraria, Discord Bots etc.

That's a great combo! Multicraft is a fantastic choice for managing Minecraft servers, and Pterodactyl is incredibly versatile for just about anything else you throw at it, from Rust and ARK to Valheim, Terraria, and even Discord bots. I'm particularly impressed with your use of Pterodactyl for Discord bots. It's not the most common setup, but it can be incredibly powerful for managing and scaling your bots. Did you have any specific challenges setting it up or integrating it with your workflow? I'd love to hear more about your experience!

Not really, I just use eggs from Github for the Bots and games and there is a free WHMCS addon for Pterdoactyl on Github as well for integration. Everything is automated:

Dedicated servers offer high reliability since users are guaranteed a certain level of uptime. Hosting providers usually provide 99.9% uptime guarantees, ensuring websites or applications are always active. Overall, if your website or application requires high-performance, security, reliability, and flexibility, dedicated servers could be an ideal hosting choice for your business.

Server hardware is repeatable, so it cannot be unique.
In my opinion, what distinguishes a server is its software configuration, which makes a difference to the hardware performance.
100% efficiency of hardware can be achieved with a correct software configuration.

You're absolutely right! While the physical server hardware might be standardized, it's the software that breathes life into it and makes it truly sing. It's like having a fancy sports car; without the right tuning and software tweaks, it's just a bunch of expensive metal.

We do have couple of nodes for game servers using Pterodactyl panel as well as some other nodes used for VPS using Virtfusion panel.

I run really huge databases (like a PostgreSQL table with 100000000 entries, these entries are messages from a forum). Since I host huge databases, I use huge servers as well (I recently moved to NVMe, for example). I think that a VPS couldn't handle that type of activiies, and my VPS would be striked from the hosting provider if I run that type of things (btw the main database last backup got a size of 300 GB, so I also need a storage provider to store these backups, etc...)

We run various software like exabgp to inject routes into our network, IPAM (ip address mgmt), sflow ddos mitigation, software routers, etc.

Also run VM's like everyone else on some servers ;-)

I run really huge databases (like a PostgreSQL table with 100000000 entries, these entries are messages from a forum). Since I host huge databases, I use huge servers as well (I recently moved to NVMe, for example). I think that a VPS couldn't handle that type of activiies, and my VPS would be striked from the hosting provider if I run that type of things (btw the main database last backup got a size of 300 GB, so I also need a storage provider to store these backups, etc...)
This is an impressive amount of data if the backup is of this size. You need a dedicated server in the Netherlands data centers (probably with RAID 10 for optimal performance and data safety) with automatic downloading of backups to a separate storage. This will definitely save you from any problems and unforeseen situations.