Design site or template

What route did you go for your site?
Did you buy a template or did you have a site designed, or design it yourself?

A lot of hosts seem to be buying premade templates now, just wanted to see what the majority here did.

Please also post why you did what you did and if you would change it in the future or do the same thing again.

Designed myself. Although I looked around to see what was out there before I did it. I do not like the cookie-cutter templates with the faces of people you do not know. However, getting the right image is not an easy task. My design may look similiar to others that you have seen, but it is not a template. Took me about a day to design it, and I am still finishing up. Just working 60+ hours a week, full time student, and a family.....no time to do what all is needed within a day.

Mine is a bit of both..
I had a designer do a main template, then that was used for the design of the overall site.
I didn't do any of it myself, don't have enough skill/knowledge to do a good design for a business site so a lot easier to have someone else do the hard work ;)

My own design. I have a clean-lines / minimalist sensibility that just isn't available with the majority of the hosting templates out there.

I've been toying with having a designer create something based on usability goals and the current colorscheme, but that's been put on the back burner. (That's not really a template, though.)

My own designs - i went to school for web design/development so i could someday create the million dollar idea without having to spen the money for a designer/developer

I received my Masters in the School of Self Taught USA. Now, if I can only get it recognized/accredited.. ;) <-- but at least my degree is better than those online one's.. :list:

Sherdog75, when you get that million dollar idea, give me a hollar and I'll help you at my regular 15% consulting fee..

Design my own sites. I have used templates before, but being a template creator, I don't have a need for them, when I could do the job myself.

Get a unique design, whether you make it or buy it from a designer. You have to remember your site is the face of your business to your clients. This is what your potential clients will see and base their main opinion on. Nothing like making your business site personal rather than standard stock templates and logo's