Did you hear about ThePlanet. . .

The merger has been finalized and the final company will be called SoftLayer. Lance, who is the current CEO of SoftLayer, will be the CEO of the new company.

Lance also said that for SL customers, nothing will change. However TP will be incorporated into SL.

It probably wont change much. They'll just look at the options they have. They'll still very much be their own company providing the same services, with probably the same people (one would hope).

That's basically what was said when it was announced. Things can change though.

SoftLayer is a great company and I do believe them merging with The Planet will push The Planet over the top. This is a great thing. SoftLayer is world wide. They are always on TheWhir.com

Softlayer is a well run company with a smart eye on bottom line, balancing profitability with aggressive pricing and market share,

There is a pretty obvious reason why the reputation of ThePlanet has been tarnished since the SL crew left and formed Softlayer...and why they are the ones in the drivers seat as they "return"

That would mean that one of those companys are struggling in some way and may want to sell up fast.. But as for weaking the competition... Just have to wait and see.

That does not neccassarly mean that. I have been with companies and apart of mergers, where companies want join together to increase there revenue and possibly form a much bigger company. I do think that this shows how well The Planet and Softlayer are doing to merge.

It is a bad news that 2 great providers of servers are merging.
It will definitely result in less competition and less choices.

Maybe softlayer is more familiar to me comparing The Planet, merger also may create a better development in the future

I don't see it necessarily as good news to see hosting getting into the hands more of just a few big players.

It's just big fish becoming bigger. :shaky:
I would predict they will keep everything the same.
Just like they didn't change anything about 1&1 (letting them have the people who want site builders & "plain" hosting running all the big magazine ads & keeping the Planet as a high-end server provider.

It's like the automakers and all the other companies consolidating these days. They will probably keep it as "low key" as possible and let each company continue to go for the market "niche" they have always had.

Works out good for The Planet, I have wondered how many of their servers that were last year's "high end" got shipped to the 1&1 facilities to become "shared" or similar servers so they don't lose money as the clients who can afford the "power" at The Planet can order the very latest high powered servers and pay the high prices.

Would make sense; no company with that many boxes wants anything sitting idle to let a "power" customer pay for the boxes at The Planet then move a box 2-3 years old to 1&1 and let them run a few more years as a VPS server or shared box depending on the specs. :rolleyes2

When you are talking about companies with thousands of boxes they want as much ROI once a box is paid for before a box has to be "retired" and The Planet has always seemed to go for "high end" type customers so if they end up with a few boxes that aren't being used and don't fit the current sales "line up" at The Planet I bet they move them to 1&1 where the server specs make no difference and run them until they aren't worth running anymore (need major repairs and are too old to be worth it when you can pop in another high power box from the Planet that was "top of the line" 2 years ago but is "old news" for high-end customers now... partially driven by how fast the server market keeps changing with new CPU's and such changing so rapidly.
(SAS drives, SATAIII drives, USB3, faster & more powerful... a 2-3 year old server would barely make the bottom end of the line up at The Planet but handle 500 sites at 1&1 and let them keep those prices down.
I don't know where Soft Layer would fit in but I'm sure all the CEO's & bookkeepers do. :shh:

They will probably let all the companies keep marketing to their segment of the market and use the capacity to make things more profitable so the fewest boxes are ever sitting idle.

Just today's world; especially with this economy and tough-times; people with money to buy can get deals from people who are tired of the business and want to retire to a beach somewhere and not have to worry about what the economy does.

(ALL IMHO)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamHostBrett