directory submissiom affective still???

There are a few schools of thought about directory submission - some SEO experts say to only submit to niche directories while other say they submitted to 100's of directories with good results. I saw one this morning suggest that Google penalizes your site if it's new and you develop tons of backlinks too fast. Who do you believe? I don't think there is anything wrong with submitting your site to some niche directories upfront.

I saw one this morning suggest that Google penalizes your site if it's new and you develop tons of backlinks too fast.

I don't think there can be a strict penalty involved. If say Apple launches "SuperGadget" tomorrow, there will be tons of links to the official page/site it in the matter of days. It won't be penalized, we can rest assured. The nature of the sites/pages that link to it and their authority probably makes a world of difference.

Of course if you use an Apple launch as an example, I agree. But I wonder about new sites having the ability to draw tons of links (with authority) in a matter of days.

Yes, directory submission is still affective. We can increase one way back link for our website if we submit website in directory. It is very affective if you do post in high-quality directories and niche directories.

I think its a good option to submit your site in directories. They are a good source of long term traffic.

Besides directory submissions are a good source of getting long term traffic.

I've done directory submission in batch before, but look for specific niche directories today. I do take notice of the directories my competition has backlinks to, and submit to those as well.