Do i need a VPS?

coolguythampy

Hi.

I want to host two blogs. Here are my requirements

1. 2 wordpress blogs
2. Expecting around 1000-1500 visitors a day (Extreme peak times considering i am just starting my blogs)
3. I wont provide any upload/ download/ videos
4. I may stream videos from you tube and related
5. I do not have any knowledge of root access or whatever vps companies talk about. I have experience installing wordpress on shared hosting sites only (Upload it to public_html folder)

So do i need a VPS or just a shared hosing?

here are my picks for

SHARED HOSTING
Bluehost/hostgator/inmotionhosting

Grid service
mediatemple

VPS
vpslink.com/cheapvps.co.uk/slicehost.com
(Most offer close to 256 Mb ram and 300 Gb bandwidth per month for my budget (20$ per month))

Any idea how much RAM i should look for?

Can you suggest?

Since you are just starting out, a small VPS is recommended. Also, since you said you might stream videos from youtube, a VPS would give you more flexability, and would handle the load better.

Id say the following is what you need in a VPS.

10-15GB space
200-400GB bandwidth
300-600MB ram.

That is just a rough estimate though, but im pretty sure that will be enough.

I think a reseller account would even do for you, you can get a Managed Reseller Plan for cheaper.

1000 visitirs a day is nothing for a server :)

I was looking at the VPS packages. Most come for 30$ for above 256 mb ram. DO i really need that? I was wondering whether it would be an overkill for my new blog.

How is servercomplete.com? Anyone used them? Any reviews?

I'd look at VPS as you can tweak the server settings to be optimized for your wordpress modules. 256MB of memory is not much, so I'd add at least another 128 if not another 256. Also, you'll want to be careful on the control panel that you choose. If you choose cPanel, be aware that pretty much 128MB is taken right off the bat, and MORE is required depending on the tasks you're running.

I'd advise a Managed VPS with a minimum of 256MB

Judging by your actual needs a VPS would be totally unnecessary.

1000-2000 visitors a day, potentially, on a wordpress blog is not an issue on shared hosting, especially considering you are not offering uploads/downloads.

Streaming videos from Youtube won't affect your situation at all. It should not even be considered in your requirements.

That fact that you don't need or have any experience with root access etc. should be enough to keep you away from a VPS.

Shared hosting is almost certainly what you are looking for.

actually, in your condition, you can still use shared account.
for your two blogs you can find a host that provide you around 60gb with ...TB traffic.

you can easily find it under $15 a month.

when you get more traffic than 4000 visitor,
vps is welcome for you.

I think to start you would be ok with a shared account on a good non-oversold host. If you plan on expanding your blogs and making them big starting with a VPS would make it easier for that, and no chance of having to move them. Most host will help you move your sites, so you could start with a shared host then move onto a VPS later. If your budget is low, start with shared, save your money for when you really need a VPS if that is an issue.

You may want to start with a shared hosting account and then grow as your site does. Make sure the hosting company is reliable.

If you're expecting more traffics in coming days I think you should consider for shifting to a VPS account.

It depends; you could start out with a small shared account and upgrade to a VPS later. Which ever works best for you.

Shared should be fine for you now. Be careful to read the TOS and AUP policies of the providers on your short list. I understand that can be a pain sometimes, but it will save you some headaches down the road should issues arise. Its always best to have a clear understanding of the services you're signing onto.

Hi
I am customer of in2net vps hosting
It Provides hosting only for 9.95$ per month
With 15G Space, 256RAM

been using them for awhile no problems

No, with 1,000-2,000 Visits/Day you don't need VPS at all,
really 1000 Visitor is Nothing for a server!

you can run your website on Good shared hosting or Reseller,
if you may grew in future, you will switch to Vps or Dedicated then,

i suggest you try Hostgator shared hosting First, then switch to their Reseller Plan for $24.95 if needed ( i don't think so )

<<MOD NOTE: Advertising is not allowed. Please re-read the rules you have agreed to.>>

VPS plans are cheaper than reseller hosting plans, if you want to run your own sites and to manage it properly go for VPS, reseller service is not good with many also bit costly compared to a mid range VPS

Shared hosting can easy handle 1000-2000

I would recommend you to start with good shared hosting plan
even 2000 visitors a day is fine for shared plan

Mod note: Advertising is not allowed here. Please check the rules.

Last edited by a moderator: