Do you think this could work!?

That might depend on how you want to sell the service. What exactly are you thinking of doing for a 1USD type of setup?

$1.00 accounts are usually perfect for spammers and people wanting to use space as a storage location. $1.00 doesn't cover expenses. Even 20 people demanding your time and support wouldn't cover your operational costs. I honestly don't think $1.00/month packages are a smart idea myself.

How long is a piece of string?

Seriously. This question comes up all the time and no one can answer it for you.
What is your overhead? How much do you pay staff? What are your server costs? What is your business plan? What is your intended profit margin? What is your plan for the future of your company?

Answer those questions and more and then you can make your own determinations as to what the minimum price for your services will be.

Yeah no I don't think it is a good idea at all. It wouldn't even be worth it to offer it. It might be good to bring in business for you but in the long run it isn't the brightest idea as many have already pointed out.

There are hosts that have survived while having such packages. At $1, it makes sense to charge yearly, and that's usually how it's done.

Some hosts actually use such a cheap package as a loss leader. If it misses some features (SSL etc), the customer may need an upgrade later on, and the company can really turn some profti then.

It's conceivable that your $1 plan could attract very value-conscious (but legitimate) customers...but for this, you'd probably need to identify specific market niches and work to penetrate them.

Yeah, this would be a huge red flag in fact, because of the risks. There are potentials for this by really limiting the services that you offer and charging for everything under the sun beyond that. Just use is as an enticement.

Where do you plan on making money? At a $1, in this tough economy hard to see this working out in the long run.

As others have noted, you need to pay staff (including yourself), pay for hardware, support your customers, etc.

Not saying this can't be done, but there must be some other way to recoup such a low dollar amount should you want a business that can be there the following year.

This question Is a bit tricky,see,actually people Love economic things,but you might be bringing negativity to your business by giving away space so cheaply,well,theres something called the bandwagon effect in Economics,Its basically means If someone Liked a service hes going to come back,and when he comes back hes going to lower tens of other guys over a period of time,well this can be applicable to your business as well,but the only hinderance I see Is maby people will be sceptical in purchasing,as the charges are very low.
But this can also be a good thing,It depends on a series of Other factors a well,Like marketing,design,customer relations and Good will of the firm(this is particularly Important to unleash the Bandwagon effect)

There is a chance this could be a side project, and your main project could end up supporting both of them (with the overhead) that might need to be taking into consideration.

If you offer $1.00 hosting, then everyone else who resells will have to do the same to meet its competitors. I would suggest you plan your business and think it over on how you want people to view your hosting company.

Offering cheap hosting services is not a thing you pass judgment on as their Support way be top notch - you never know.

A large Host can offer $1 for a week as a marketing idea :)

$1 plan could be a good start for your company if you are going to resell any standard web hosting company's reseller plans and can still make profit.

Let's do a math. Hostgator is offering a reseller package at $25 a month with which you will get 25 GB disk space and 250 GB bandwidth. So, now if you can get 50 customers under that package each having only 500 MB disk space and 5 GB monthly bandwidth at $1 a month, you have already made $25 profit for that month.

You made exactly how much you invested in profit for a month. Think about the potential if you succeeded with the business here.

Of course, it's not going to be easy to get new customers for a newly started web host. You should be ready to face loses for the first couple of months and create a name to succeed in this business.

$1 plan .. Hiimmm... If people have very small website and not update frequently... Ok it is good.. but for others... it is not trustable.. I never choose such a plan.. I am sure it gives lots of headache..

It will sell a lot but what's the point. How much profit do you make if you even do? I would recommend increasing your price to atleast 5$ or more.