Do you use Autoresponders for e-mail queries?

iNetManila

I'm thinking twice of using autoresponders for e-mail queries.

I've been in constant communication with this guy who uses autoresponders and it's just quite annoying. By the time I'm eager to open his mail to read his response, it gets me when the e-mail turns out be just an autoresponse.

I'm thinking something like "Thank you for contacting us. We will respond to your e-mail within 24 hours....." you know, the usual thing.
What are your thoughts on autoresponders?

We used to use them but stopped. I think it helps our hosting customers when we used them because if they got a auto reply then they knew we got there message. If they didn't then they might have to send again. But we don't use them anymore and no issue's.

Autoresponders are good for getting additional spam, plus what happens if the person receiving a autoresponder, also has a autoresponder? Yup, ends up in a loop. We used to use them but ended that practice awhile ago.

Same here, I used to awhile back, but later on just stopped. I agree with Jim2Macs, about the looping. I had that and our emails was spamed with 1000's of auto responding emails.

There are quite a few amount of companies, which still use it a lot these days. I think the ones that are more successful at it, are ones that create a NO-REPLY email. So when an autoresponder goes out, it basically BLOCKS all incoming email. This way, you can send out auto-responders without getting stuck in this spam email loop.

Your inbox got spammed by auto-responders, but mine got spammed by my clients.
And also my business is not as large to have an auto-responder. I am doing a very small business to tackle my clients. I am not a busy, so I find enough time to answer my clients. I am very much known for my service to my customers. Its so foolish to set an auto-responder for customers. If you do so then you have more probability to loose customers.

Auto responders are great, if you know how to use them! If you get an auto responder after EVERY email sent to you, it's a problem. I, as a customer, don't want to read the same response after every message.

Heres what you do: set up your auto responder to respond to the FIRST email by the customer, stating that you have received his email and will reply within XX hours. And if he or she has any more inquiries, to send another email. They should NOT get an auto responder after the further responses and inquiries. One is more then enough, and gets the point across. :)

I like autoresponder because it let me know If my host as received my message.

Our support team use it, but sales dont.

BonsaiRack said:
I like autoresponder because it let me know If my host as received my message.

Our support team use it, but sales dont.

We get around that by requesting an automatic receipt. When they click to open the email it tells them that an automatic receipt must be sent. All major mail clients support that so its not an issue.

We only use the above method for new account creation emails that contain login information. Also if it is a automatic billing reminder so the client cant they they never received an invoice.

Never have used Auto responders, never had a need to use them.

Auto responder as you said, should only be used for "Thank you for contacting us. We will respond to your e-mail within 24 hours....."

You are just telling the sender that you got his email. Thats it

Well i kinda like auto responders and thinks itz a good way to send a confirmation notice to your client that you have received their email. But like others said, there are some negative sides to it as well. :)

Autoresponders are good for getting additional spam, plus what happens if the person receiving a autoresponder, also has a autoresponder? Yup, ends up in a loop. We used to use them but ended that practice awhile ago.

Yes that has happened. LOLZ MCPH server crash. It happend at a host I use to work for osmeone keept auto looping it and it eventualy crashed our mail server. Sence then I dont use it.

I use autoresponders in the office to let people know if I am out of the office and to provide alternative contacts should they need urgent assistance.

Autoresponders can cause problems though. If you get mail bombed then your mail server could send out 1000's or autoresponses to all the junk that appears.

Good point I didn't think of being mailed bombed. I use it when I'm away for more then 2 days to let clients knwo of alternitve contacts.
My staff is a team. Each of us know about each others clients. We stayinfromed so we can always help eachother.

Autoresponders are good to let clients know you recieved their email. Additionally, autoresponders with a loop-breaking tool are even better. Kayako Support Suite has one integrated into it. Very helpful and allows us to have the autoresponse with no loops!

I didn't realize how used I was to getting an auto responder message until I was househunting online recently out of state and in touch with a number of realtors via their websites.

Of all the ones I'd advised of what we were looking for by email or filling in an online form (and there were about a dozen agencies we got in touch with), only two didn't have even a plain vanilla " thanks for your enquiry" response.

It did make me as a customer wonder if they ever got it and then when I didn't hear anything at all within a few days, not even an acknowledgment, that just plain irritated me. We hadn't even talked yet and already I was feeling unhappy about them.

Of the two that didn't send an automated reply, one got in touch two weeks after we'd already closed on another house saying, and I kid you not: "I never read my email because so few use it - do you still need help?"

Errr, not from you, thanks, Mr. Efficiency, even if I hadn't already bought a place. Why on earth give business to someone that can't even respond to your iniitial enquiry? That guy would have been better removing the contact us by email option completely and just having a phone number up on his site. But I digress into a rant LOL.

The other realtor when we called them about three days later said they'd got it but had been too busy to reply. (!) Now maybe I'm picky but I don't think a ten second " thanks for the enquiry and I'll get back to you as soon as I can" is much to ask. She was the perfect example of someone that needs one but never does set one up and got added to my "don't use them!" list for rotten customer service too.

Summary : autoresponders are cool and at least let your customer know that you know they and their email exists! Thumbs up for them from me. I think they're a handy tool and a courteous way of acknowledging initial contact when you're don't have the time to do so immediately yourself with a personal reply.

I'm glad I read this thread. It is obvious that an auto responder has its place. I will likely use one on a customers first message to let them know that I got the message. I can also see it's use in providing alternative contact info when I'm not available. For that I can see it could be a great benefit beyond that I think it would be a liability.

I have a love/hate relationship with autoresponders. I love the fact that I know someone got my question, comment, etc. but like many hate the fact that when I'm really looking forward to a response on something that it really dampens my mood when I get one. I think they do have their place but sometimes I think that some people use them just so they can put off answering us.

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting