Does using a free web hosting service effect the amount of traffic you get

In general, no. Look at wordpress.org for an example - 100% free to use and host your blog.

Now using a free host MAY have other negative parts to it, such as them shutting you down because you have too much traffic etc, but the web is just an address, and depending how you do your promotions, WHERE you host your site shouldn't have an effect on people getting to it.

This is relative of course. :) Does wearing shoes make you a better walker? Most times, No, but the right shoe can relieve stress points so you can walk further. But many 3rd word countries have no shoes and they walk just fine :)

Yipes, that's pretty deep, Conor. Shoes - no shoes? I like the analogy, though. I do agree that a free web hosting service will most likely suspend or terminate your site once traffic increases to the point that it exceeds their Terms of Service for percentage of resources used.

I should have gone with the PEN :) You can write a sign with a regular PEN, but wouldn't it be better to use a Sharpie Marker if you're standing more than 10 feet away? :)

Does it work? YES. Was it the best tool for the job? Well you did YOUR part, so who cares? :) If they wanted something done a certain way, they would have asked for it that way! Never EVER EVER EVER think from the other person's view :) As long as you accomplish point A to point B, nothing matters in between :)

It comes down to the old saying; "You get what you pay for". Don't be upset when your free web hosting does something you don't like

It comes down to the old saying; "You get what you pay for". Don't be upset when your free web hosting does something you don't like

This is often too true and, especially given the quality, low-cost solutions out there today, I would recommend getting even the cheapest package from a reputable provider instead.

Also a fan of the shoe analogy :agree:

One of the drawback of free web hosting is that here you do not get support & reliability. In my view traffic should marginally affect if you have a free web host.

The important thing for the SE is uptime. And free web hosting do not have any guarantees regarding that and that's why that might be considered as not good option for some SEO proposes

In general,It doesn't affect your traffic.but the free web hosting doesn't have any guaratee,It will shut down your accout once your traffic is very much.

Technically it will not, unless of course your free web hosting has a limitation of bandwidth per month. If that is the case, it will be block from access.If practice it will as normally people don’t take it seriously when it come to free web hosting. This is especially true if you used it to sell things.
Do you think you will buy it from there ?
Other than the human factor mention above, I don’t see any relation between traffic and web hosting. However if you take SEO into part of the factor, it might have some effect as well.

In general, it doesn't affect the amount of traffic you get on your website however it can have an effect in the form of site downtime, suspension or termination without notice. Reliability is obviously the key so if you are concerned about your website traffic, get paid hosting and avoid the hassles.

I would worry more so about the up time your site will have than how the traffic flows. If you build it, they will come, right? Making sure your site is functional and stable would be of more importance in this situation I think.

I know some people who have done rather well for themselves, using nothing more than a free web host. Wordpress and Blogspot are both good examples of this, and many people have done great on both of them. Of course that's blogging and not regular websites, but i'm sure some free hosted full websites have done well too.

I think the point that may be missed here is the purpose of the site.

If this is a business site then I would have to say yes, it could effect traffic.
I have little confidence in any business that will not invest in proper web hosting.

yes it does effect the traffic but not in a way you want it. Free hosting services tend to put their own ads on your page, which may make repeat visits less likely.

Well like most things web hosting can be found in a variety of price ranges, anywhere from free to ridicoulsy expensive, and everywhere in between. The biggest problem with most free providers are your website is surrounded by several ads that are both distracting your vistors as well as they are randonly generating so at times there could be advertisments from some of your competitors. Very expensive sites offer a lot of extras that you don’t need or understand. Be sure to look over many different providers and don’t let cost be your only factor in deciding.

When you are hosting a business related site, up-time is extremely important to you, and many free hosting providers offer no kind of promise regarding uptime, so it can definitely have an effect on your traffic flow. For a personal site though? Free hosting can be a fine place to start out on, and then look into pay hosts from there.

If something is getting for free there will be some limitations. According to the nature of the site, the hosting plan should be selected. For personal or other small use, it will be good to have a free hosting. Otherwise its better to choose higher plans according to the nature of the site. Free hosting will not suite for many types of sites, which may lead to problems in traffic.