Don't you hate it when.

blueskies

Imagine being with a hosting company for more than a year.

Then suddenly one day they come out with new hosting plans that are double the space you have and only half the price.

BUT they are only for new customers and not for existing clients.
Existing client are not eligible.

So that's your reward for sticking with them more than a year.
You get to pay twice as much for half the space.

This just happened to me recently.

Some way to say thankyou for your business huh?

What do you think?

That would actually get me conserned more than anything. But for a different reason.
If I do not use all that space and bandwidth - that's fine with me - I would probably not need more any time soon anyway. However, my concern is if a hosting company I am with decides to take on the overselling road, and if the good service provided to date would deteriorate because of that move.

Best,

I also used to pay $35 dollars a year for each domain name...
But things advance. What was fine two years ago isn't fine today.

Or for example in 1995 I paid $1,200 for a 486 DX4 100 MHZ

But today I can get a lot more computer for that same amount of money.

I don't mind the amount I'm paying. I just don't think it cool to pay for last years hosting plan when everyone after me will get the newer server with the better deal.

Especially with how the prices of hardware are dropping...

See what I'm trying to say? :cool:

I would agree with blueskies on this one.
Cost have gone down in the hosting business over the years.
If a host changes their pricing structure to a lower price then it should be offered to current clients.

You take care of those who take care of you.
I've never understood the concept of treating potential new clients better than you treat existing clientele who have been paying your bills.

I had a similar thing happen.
My cable company was offering free setup for a new feature that costs $20 a month, but only to new clients.
I've been paying these guys $160 a month for almost 4 years now. I contacted them and told them I would like the new feature but only if they waived the setup fee. They declined and so did I.
So far the cable company would have made 10X the setup fee from me if they had just given me the service.

Thanks for your support Blue.

Wouldn't it be nice if the companies would have specials that were only available to long term clients as a way of saying thank you... :cool:

Personally we never offer promotions or lower pricing or other "plan" changes without making it retroactive. Clients have to request it since we can't possibly remember who has what on every account but to me that seems the only fair way. Although they try not to it's the same with your "special" for 1 year with DSL or satellite TV or whatever. If you call them up and complain (or threaten to leave) when your special runs out they will give you the same special you had since it's likely still higher than what they are currently offering anyway.
I know our server provider upped the transfer amounts on dedicateds earlier this year...one simple request and all ours were upgraded to match their new plans within 2 or 3 hours :cool:

I think I would be tempted to read as much of the fine print as you can get your hands on about the "new packages".

A few years ago I had a web host suddenly advertise new packages on a different server that had more space & bandwidth but were cheaper than what I was paying. By quite a bit.

But ... I read the fine print & realized that those new packages didn't come with the level of service & support that I was receiving on the account I had. The new packages only had peer support via a forum ... while I was privy to email & ticket support whenever needed .. as well as the forums.

Obviously I chose to keep my old account & pricing :)

Unfortunately though, it wasn't but a few months later that I was also looking for a new web host because they & their servers started messing up. I don't know if them starting their new packages idea had any connection with the subsequent failure of the company.

My point is ... make sure the facts you have are all the facts.

Peter

I used to pay $1200 peer month for hosting

that was back in 1993, I was the state of Tennessees 25th website and that money did not include a shopping cart or even email.

I have tried a lot of different hosting companies over the years and at one time was actually paying about $30 per month for each of my sites. now i tell everybody to look at hosting providers that offer reseller hosting where you can host as many sites as you want under one hosting account.

now i tell everybody to look at hosting providers that offer reseller hosting where you can host as many sites as you want under one hosting account.
Many shared hosting accounts these days have that ability.

ldcdc said:
Many shared hosting accounts these days have that ability.

Although addon domains (again, depending on the control panel in use) can't really be construed as having anywhere near the features of a reseller account.

WK-Anthony said:
Although addon domains (again, depending on the control panel in use) can't really be construed as having anywhere near the features of a reseller account.
Definitely, but for a relatively limited number of domains that you personally own, I think a shared hosting account can do the job just fine.

well i guess it is really not the best idea for a company to say this for a client . I think that if they come up with new plans that cost less money for new customers they should cut the payments for the old clients as well since its just not great to have the old guys pay more :)