dream host? radiance? Krystal?

KatJones

Hey guys, I'm new here.. Obviously!
I am trying to find a new web host and transfer an old site for a client and I'm learning as I go. I realized when I began searching for host that almost all of the revies were complete BS.
I'm so glad to have found this forum.
I also need to build a forum on my new site.

I am not sure which web host to go with I have a budget it 100/ yr and I'm leaning towards dream host. I have heard of them since I was a kid so they have been around for a long time and they aren't too expensive.
I liked radiance because their sure was so responsive it seemed like they have fast servers. And a friend recommended Krystal but they are located in the UK and .Y clie t wants to keep things Continental.
Does anyone have experience with any of these hosts, what do you think.
Also im going to be building a forum on the new site, I already have the simple.machine files I just need access to a cpanel. And possibly I'll be adding one or two subdomains in the future.
Thanks for any responses!

Out of the the three companies, I've only heard of Dream Host. I couldn't even specifically find the Radiance one website just because there are so many companies that carry Radiance and Radiant names out there. I don't have experience with any of them, but I wanted to give you a few other pointers.

Keep in mind that large companies have a tendency to see clients as numbers. A loss of an account doesn't affect the bottom line as much as it'd affect a smaller/medium size company. So usually the trend is that smaller firms would work harder to keep you happy. The advantage large companies have is in financial stability.

Your budget is very good for a small site and you should be able to find a very good provider.

My personal suggestion would be to take a look in the offers section here on HostingDiscussion.com. There are plenty of companies that are present on the forum and a lot of them post special/discounted deals not available anywhere else (an extra coupon won't hurt, right?): http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/shared-hosting-offers/

The good thing is that you can see each company's track record on the forum, see how engaged they are with the community, how helpful and knowledgeable they are in their posts. To me that's usually more telling that a review of what kind of service you can expect.

Lastly, why did you choose Simple Machines forum? There are so many other more modern choices available.

Lastly, why did you choose Simple Machines forum? There are so many other more modern choices available.

Honestly I chose it because it was free and I found a tutorial on how to install it...? It's actually the next task on my list to read and then maybe post in the proper section of this forum that applies to forums lol

Honestly I chose it because it was free and I found a tutorial on how to install it...? It's actually the next task on my list to read and then maybe post in the proper section of this forum that applies to forums lol

There are other free options that are more in line with modern trends. Check out:

https://vanillaforums.com/en/software/
http://www.discourse.org/
(both offer free open source versions)

There is also https://www.phpbb.com/ among the classic ones, if we go really way back in time.

Hey guys, I'm new here.. Obviously!
I am trying to find a new web host and transfer an old site for a client and I'm learning as I go. I realized when I began searching for host that almost all of the revies were complete BS.
I'm so glad to have found this forum.
I also need to build a forum on my new site.

I am not sure which web host to go with I have a budget it 100/ yr and I'm leaning towards dream host. I have heard of them since I was a kid so they have been around for a long time and they aren't too expensive.
I liked radiance because their sure was so responsive it seemed like they have fast servers. And a friend recommended Krystal but they are located in the UK and .Y clie t wants to keep things Continental.
Does anyone have experience with any of these hosts, what do you think.
Also im going to be building a forum on the new site, I already have the simple.machine files I just need access to a cpanel. And possibly I'll be adding one or two subdomains in the future.
Thanks for any responses!

There are quite a few that offer web hosting on a budget and are good. Just look around a bit and explore the options that best suit your needs.

Krystal are pretty decent from what ive heard, they offer a CDN which may help you with the location issues.

you will never - ever be advised which hosts are actually reliable, safe and true hosting providers but you will certainly be pointed to incompetent, second league hosts which make their way not by providing quality services but by bribing web site owners. As many others have been before, if you act on hosting suggestions from such amoral sites, there is a pretty good chance you will also get involved in burdensome relationship with "best" host.