Email smtp blocking problem

mcmaster

I have a little complicated problem and I need some suggestions.

I am a web application programmer and I had a client in Germany. They bought domain name and web hosting at Strato. but it was so slow and their customer service was ridiculous. So I moved website to a server in United States.
I contacted to Strato to change DNS information but they said they don't offer dns change service. So I basically changed IPv4 and domain started to work with current server. Now it goes to new server but when you whois domain name, DNS is still shows strato.

But then we had email problem. hotmail and some other email providers started to block our outgoing emails. I contacted our server admin and he recommended to set up SPF but strato doesn't provide that service either and new server admin said he can do nothing because dns is not located on his server.

Now i don't know what to do. Any recommendation?

I have a little complicated problem and I need some suggestions.

I am a web application programmer and I had a client in Germany. They bought domain name and web hosting at Strato. but it was so slow and their customer service was ridiculous. So I moved website to a server in United States.
I contacted to Strato to change DNS information but they said they don't offer dns change service. So I basically changed IPv4 and domain started to work with current server. Now it goes to new server but when you whois domain name, DNS is still shows strato.

But then we had email problem. hotmail and some other email providers started to block our outgoing emails. I contacted our server admin and he recommended to set up SPF but strato doesn't provide that service either and new server admin said he can do nothing because dns is not located on his server.

Now i don't know what to do. Any recommendation?

What??? :confused:

I can understand they may not let you transfer the domain to another registrar due to a policy or terms of service, but are they not allowing you to change the nameservers for your domain???

If so, that is bad. That is just holding your domain name hostage!

who is the official owner and/or admin record in whois?

if it's not you/your client then you're screwed.

That's absolutely correct. Some hosting companies that offer free domain names with your account, sometimes name themselves as the owner of the domain. If you choose to change hosts, you can't take the domain with you because they own it. :(

This is why you should keep your registrar and your host separate.

Did you actually ask them to transfer the domain to your registrar?
Why would a company maintain the domain if the user left their services?
There is more to it than just changing the name servers.

Before listening to these absurd comments about being screwed etc. you should get a better dialog with the host in question.

domian name belongs to us. it is not problem to transfer it if it is only solution. but they dont let us to change dns. i talked to them 10 times

If you cannot change the dns yourself then the domain does not belong to you in reality.
You need to get it to a place where you have full control.

Did you actually ask them to transfer the domain to your registrar?
Why would a company maintain the domain if the user left their services?
There is more to it than just changing the name servers.

Before listening to these absurd comments about being screwed etc. you should get a better dialog with the host in question.

There is nothing absurd about any of the comments anyone left. What is absurd is he is not allowed to change his DNS for his domain.

Telling someone they are screwed without knowing any of the facts is absurd.
I'm not sure how you see it but that is the way I do.

Far better to learn the situation and make an intelligent assessment rather than make ridiculous blanket statements.

Back on topic.

Telling someone they are screwed without knowing any of the facts is absurd.
I'm not sure how you see it but that is the way I do.

there's an "if" there in case you missed it :smash:

:crash:

what tld is your domain anyway? we'll help you find a better registrar.

No. I didn't miss it.
The point remains the same. What exactly were you offering the OP with your post?

No. I didn't miss it.
The point remains the same. What exactly were you offering the OP with your post?

I was offering him the advise to check his whois records if he hadn't done so already. Many don't know they are NOT the legal owner of their domains or how to check for that matter. :smash:

Perhaps in the future you could be a little more clear with your advice rather than just offering up "you are screwed".

Hardly a professional approach.

Back on topic, everyone. :)

As Blue above said, if you cannot change, or do not have the access to DNS, then you are not the primary owner of the domain. I would ask the company to transfer the name to a registrar of your choice, even if there is a fee involved. Keeping control of your own domains, and not relying on third parties for managing it, is a necessity in web-based ventures.

I registered it at strato, one of the biggest internet company in Germany and Europe. I talked to them, basically they say they dont offer dns changing service but if we want we can transfer it to somewhere else. They say we can only change ipv4 or ipv6.
So as i understand from your posts, i have to transfer all my domains. thanks

Quite honestly I do not have experience with Strato, but I am aware that European ways of handling domain names is tougher on consumers. Having said that, I don't know why they do not give you access to DNS management, so yes, I would pick another registrar that you like and transfer domains where you have full access.

Most easy picks would be: NameCheap.com, GoDaddy.com, Moniker.com, eNom.com, Name.com, etc.