Email software

Will

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some Windows (2003 compliant) software to run my emails on my webserver. I'm not so keen on installing Exchange on a web server (not to mention the fact that I don't want to start active directory and make everyone log on yet!)

I need the following features:

POP3 / IMAP
SMTP - **MUST BE CREDENTIAL DRIVEN - NOT OPEN RELAY**
Not expensive!

Would like to have:
Webmail

What (if any) do you use and what would you suggest? I have a few weeks to research before I set this up. I need a seamless transition from Matrix mail which does not seem to support authenticated SMTP.

I use MailEnable Enterprise which I think costs around $580. MailEnable Pro is also supports all of what you need and I think thats around $210. You might be able to check out the free version and install a 3rd party free webmail app. I havent tried this before though.

Another option is SmarterMail.

I just checked and there is no IMAP. Looking over the feature matrix they cut quite a bit out of the free version :S

Have a look at hmailserver, this is GPL, you'll need to use a seperate webmail, but there's many of these under GPL.

Have a look at hmailserver, this is GPL, you'll need to use a seperate webmail, but there's many of these under GPL.

This seems to be a fantastic piece of software. I have installed it and so far it looks great! I normally stay away from free / Open Source / GPL stuff (I used WinCVS - what a terrible bit of kit) but this piece of software may well win me back!

I might give hmail a test. Seems interesting. I have only really used Exchange and ME, so it would be nice to learn another.

I'm not a huge fan of MailEnable's webmail - I think it could have been done so much better.

hMailServer is working fine for me. I'm running it on MSSQL, too - which I think is a plus not having to install MySQL.

Exchange works well but you really have to know what you're doing to administrate it. (I clearly don't! Whoever left me in charge of Active Directory was a fool! Developers + Administration tasks do not mix.)