First Programming Language you learned?

hostblue

Hello,
I was just wondering what is the first programming language you learned? I'm still trying to master PHP so almost there then I'm looking to learn JAVA/PERL as the seem to be some what interesting :).
Thank you

I did a bit of BASIC long ago... just simple stuff like adding numbers, etc. so it doesnt really count.
I started getting into computer science courses in highschool : started off with pascal and learnt if statements/loops and "procedures" as they're called in pascal.
Then the next year our school changed curriculum to C++. Learned a little c++ like loops, functions, structures, classes.
Freshman year of college we had to do C in the intro to Comp Sci class. Learnt about queues, hashing, pointers
Then I took an OOP class and did the same C++ stuff again - didnt really learn anything new except for a little exception handling.
I am currently taking a beginning Java course and a course involving VBScript/Javascript. Also taking 2 CS courses - one involving OS programming concepts for unix such as fork, semaphores, etc... and the other involving web services using C#, SOAP. I'm like totally lost in that web services class ... hope to come out knowing more than I started with though!

If you learn PHP you will be able to move on to other languages and find it very easy to learn them. I know very little php.

andrews_john said:
First was C++... Then HTML, PHP... Now i'm learning SQL :)

how come your URL is blocked out ?
anyway, first was HTML, then comes CGI, then ASP, then ASP.NET, now PHP ... i wonder what's next ?:crazy2:

there are too many computer languages ...i wish i knew all :(
Visual Basic, C, C++, Java, ASP, ASP.NET, CGI, PHP, etc.

hostblue said:
Hello,
I was just wondering what is the first programming language you learned? I'm still trying to master PHP so almost there then I'm looking to learn JAVA/PERL as the seem to be some what interesting :).
Thank you

Visual Basic was my first programming language that i learned but i haven't touched it for more than 4 years ..i totally suck at programming ....only if I were smarter :rolleyes:

Programming's mostly about practice...you do it long enough and you won't have a difficult time.

I've done C, C++, little C#, asp, php, sql, VB, vbscript, javascript.

There's lots to learn and many applications of each. Be prepared though...

1AsianChic said:
how come your URL is blocked out ?

That is that result of breaking HostingDiscussion.com forum rules.

As for the nature of this question - I never really got to learning any programming language. I'm using a WYSIWYG HTML editor and that's good enough for me. I usually outsource complex tasks. :)

Thank you Haider, but its not the HTML that I have problems with. Its if I plan to do something in PHP or install a script, blah blah... stuff like that.

I first learnt BBC Basic, the 6502 Assembler. Then 68000 Assembler and Pascal, then C, then eventually VB, C++, VBScript, Javascript, and VB.net :) plus a bit of Perl.

Let's see, first QBasic, then borland c++, then I tried visual c++, but my brain fried.
Then HTML, ASP, VBSCRIPT, some JAVA, some Javascript, T-SQL, VB.NET, and now I am taking up C#.
Oh, and don't forget dos programming (batch files?) . I'm not sure if that's considered a seperate language.

digitaltheory

I leaned Basic years ago. Then Java, C++, C, self-taught PHP, various other things. I'm still in university so I shall be learning more come September. Can't wait!

My first language was IBM 1401 SPS in 1964. :agree:
Then IBM 1620 machine code.
Then IBM 1620 SPS.
Then Honeywell 2040 programing language.
Then IBM 360 assembler.
Then FORTRAN II.
Then COBOL in 1966.
Then PL/1.
Then ALGOL.
Then Datapoint Datashare.
Then TI 990.
Then GW-BASIC.
and it continues with the more current stuff. :)