Generic DNS

cats-computing

Do you think it is worth it having a domain for generic DNS for resellers to stay more transparent?

e.g. instead of ns88.yourcompany.com have the default DNS for the server ns88.genericdnsdomain.com ???

I know of course most will use custom nameservers, just wondering about this.

cats-computing said:
Mmmm I'm just looking for a good transparent name.
Back when I was Enhanced Blue (now DediCentral), I used SERVERNAME.enhancededicated.com. That way, while transparent, people that knew who I was knew it was my server. So I'd say do something like catservers.com or something.

we use SERVERNAME.genericdomain.net That way you can call your servers anything - but you have a nice generic domain name for resellers.

Why dont you go for comdns.net and then have:

servername: CATS (orwhatever!) . comdns.net
nameservers: ns1/ns2.comdns.net

When you get more than one server you can go for breeds or something like:

panther.comdns.net
leopard.comdns.net

ragdoll.comdns.net

:D

Sorry to bring back an old thread but can you be more specific as to how this generic domain works.

I understand that if you have a new server than you will just create a subdomain and load the server on the subdomain but then when you start creating accounts through WHM, how do you assign pvt nameservers for your resellers.

A bit confused here.......

on whm, there is section called reseller center

first of all you gice reseller previllages to account and then assign this name servers to taht account. You must be root on server

Yeah, that I can understand but i need to know, is the server configured on this generic domain or the company's hosting domain.

Taking an example of say httpme.com , they have named their servers with different breeds so if they have

dallas.genericdomain.com
texas.generiddomain.com

Does, the above means they have 2 servers and they have created a subdomain on the genericdomain and selling accounts with it.

right?

Is there any guide or tutorial related to this?

Nigel