Google Analytics Spam - Referral Spam - How To Remove It

bigredseo

HD Community Advisor
Staff member
If you've looked in your Google Analytics at any point in the last year, you've probably seen inflated numbers with regards to traffic to your site. Unless you setup a filter/segment, you'll continue to see those inflated numbers.

You may have heard the term "Ghost Referrals" or "Referral Spam", but last week a new player entered the right - "Language Spam."

Ghost Referral Spam basically is a script that runs and tells Google Analytics that someone was on your site. Sadly, they never actually get to you site and instead just inflate the numbers. They then enter a shady URL as the referral source hoping that webmasters will click the link and end up on their site.

Last week, Language Spam hit the market. So now, instead of seeing "en-us" "en-gb" "ru" or other language declarations as to what a user has set in their browser, we were greeted with "Secret.ɢoogle.com You are invited! Enter only with this ticket URL. Copy it. Vote for Trump!" as being the language.

Definitely SPAM!

Not to worry, we have a guide on how to remove it and setup segments so you can filter out all the junk traffic and see just how many REAL people are getting to your site - How To Remove Referral / Language Spam in Google Analytics

If you have any questions about how it works or what you can do, drop me a note or reply here. I'm happy to help.

One day, these spammers and hackers will find a special seat in hell, but until then, we just have to filter out their antics!

OMG, spamming takes on a new art form, once again. Hey, this keeps us in business, always on the guard. By the way, that's a strange language :)

As a passing note: I love love love the new look of your website.

Thanks Steve!

It's been a long time in progress to make the swap to the new style, and a lot of testing back and forth, and split testing with clients too.

You're one of the few from this forum that likely remember what the old style was like, but for those not familiar, it was very heavy with text, and almost no graphics.

The new website style is heavy on graphics and has gone "old-school" with a left side navigation. The response has been positive from clients so far.

While the site does use a premium theme, there's a lot of php editing, scripting and CSS that was also done.