Google Buys Dodgeball.com

MangoWebs

Google Inc. continued extending its reach beyond the PC this week by acquiring social networking service Dodgeball.com, according to a note posted Wednesday on Dodgeball.com's Web site. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. A Google spokesman confirmed the acquisition but declined further comment, saying the company is not yet ready to discuss its plans for Dodgeball.com.

READ MORE Here

What a waste, maybe they should of put that money to their support team and have them all speaking English? What a great idea don't you think

Not enough to have Orkut? Oh wait, that sucked :)

Frattay22: Luckily I usually only have to drop and e-mail and not talk to them directly so I find they seem fluent enough but REALLY slow. I attended a Google Mini webinar and they really didn't look very professional in the presentation (didn't know how to use Webex basic functions apparently) but the product rocks. And, compared to Overture, I do prefer Adwords. I wouldn't put any of my campaigns on Orkut or this new network though :)

But I digress, sorry. My main question was "But what about Orkut?"

How do you know Overture will convert better? This isn't even a hosting-based business I'm talking about, by the way. I'll let the proof be int he pudding. By far, more qualified leads come in from business users on Google (solution is B2B) and grandma/grandpa end users from Overture more than businesses. So in this case I'm not thinking your blanket statement is true :)

Have you ever advertised with ovt? I am not talking about a budget of 30 bucks I am talking about X,XXX+ for any business. I have tested out Google and Ovt and I found and so many others that Ovt will produce more results than google. One of my associates the company he works for, your mom and pop shop spends around 25-40k a month in overture and only about 10k in google now. They use to do equal amounts in both. I asked him why his answer plan and simple as well "Overture will convert better than google"

Of course. I don't make blanket statements about a service that are unfounded without facts. Combined PPC of $1200-1500/month for a B2B product selling for minimum of $40K. Google converts better than Overture for us - like I said proof in the pudding. However, obviously there are still qualified leads from both or I'd have dropped one.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread.

Orkut is Google's current social networking tool.

Facts can be tricky. Everyone does it differently so you really can't say "Fact" in this situation. Since you are dealing with numbers there really isn't a "Truth" "Fact" or what ever you want to call it and how ever you want to twist it.

Plexi, I wasn't referring to you on the second to last post, I was saying in General and you directly as in twisting words around etc.. don't get the wrong idea when you read it.

Oh thanks for clearing that up! I was just saying that in perspective different things work and your point follows through and adds to it by saying different WAYS work differently too. So it is complex and depends on your situation and the particulars of how you do things (not to mention the people viewing your ads, etc). Whew! lol

what is dodgeball.com all about it must be big if google has bought it hmm intresting buy..when will google stop expanding themselves they keep getting bigger by the day :(

When google floated on the stock market we kinda realised that they weren't messing around no more.

I'm using MSN and Yahoo! more and more... nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition.