Has the trend changed ?

kothar64

Nowadays most of the hosting providers are providing with cpanel 11. And the clients seem to be most interested in this.
I asked one of my client that what made them so interested in that, they answered that the Fantastico options have really attracted them.
Which cpanel is the most demanding and What are the Fantastico options available in your hosting ?

We don't use Fantastico for our shared hosting. Installatron is cheaper and does the same thing. Some virtual clients do request it though so we only make the option of Fantastico available to them.

kothar64 said:
Nowadays most of the hosting providers are providing with cpanel 11. And the clients seem to be most interested in this.
I asked one of my client that what made them so interested in that, they answered that the Fantastico options have really attracted them.
Which cpanel is the most demanding and What are the Fantastico options available in your hosting ?
The Value of Fantastico has gone down over the years and is probably not worth the value it should be with no major changes made to the script. Just new software.

Fantastico has and is still for some of my clients a valuable tool for them. They can add easily to their online presence.

People still seem attracted to Fantastico over the alternative. I purchased Installatron for one of our servers and I have been just as satisfied with it. I don't think these "one-click" installation scripts will be going anywhere anytime soon.

Yes, these one click install are the best for the clients.

Not many clients are real internet/hostiung savyy, and the more you can offer they can do own their own, your better chance to keep that customer happy and satisfied.

I personally never liked fantastico - dunno what it was but just hated it. I never gets updated as much as the other auto-installers

I don't think these "one-click" installation scripts will be going anywhere anytime soon.
The control panels developers can put them out of business fast once they develop their own full featured installers. There would be virtually no need for addons like Fantastico and Installatron then.

ldcdc said:
The control panels developers can put them out of business fast once they develop their own full featured installers. There would be virtually no need for addons like Fantastico and Installatron then.

true true. cPanel already have an auto installer but its not that good.

Well right, but I meant the setup itself rather than who puts it out - whether its bundled with cPanel or not. I suspect cPanel will do it sooner or later, but I think it's a ways down the road. They don't seem to concerned with this particular aspect and it will increase on overhead in terms of having them update so often. I think that's why we haven't seen a quicker rush to make this a feature versus and addon.

I use Installatron rather than that overprice yucky Fantastico.

In Installatron you can make your own Scripts where as in Fantastico you cant.

ganesh.rao said:
In Installatron you can make your own Scripts where as in Fantastico you cant.

I forgot about that... i must give it a try one day. Their API looks neat lol

To get a script into fantastico you have to wait adages for it to be approved then even longer for next next update.

Well, Fantastico is great for those that want 52+ scripts at the click of a mouse to be installed automatically and with ease. I disagree that Fantastico has lost it's popularity, I think it has just become more expected as the norm in a total package offered by a web host.

Customers who have used cPanel over the years expect the Fantastico option it's become a very standard thing in the Web Hosting market. Clever marketing had definatly made it a sucess.

There is a solution for an AutoInstaller for Parallels Plesk which is called the PSA-Installer which in my opinion works great.

We don't use Fantastico for our shared hosting. Installatron is cheaper and does the same thing. Some virtual clients do request it though so we only make the option of Fantastico available to them.

Nice tip, giving Installatron a 3 day eval now :thumbup:

Seems like quite an old thread.

Still, Fantastico is great for shared hosting clients that don't know how to preform script installations by themselves.