Hiring A Programmer or Learning To Program

imaclient

Hiring A Programmer or Learn How To Program

I have a basic understanding on creating a website using Dreamweaver. I wanted to make my own website for students that wants to solve Mathematical problems but I don't have time to learn and create my own website.

On the other hand, I am considering my budget if ever I hire a programmer. And I might not get the quality that I wanted.

Which is better to spend, time to learn how to program or money to hire a programmer?

Last edited:
I think it depends on what you want and how well you have learned what you know now. If you want a simpler site without fancy Flash animation and learned how to code what you know now, Dreamweaver can help you create a simple template in no time. If you want fancy and took awhile to learn what you knwo now it might be easier to use a programmer. Obviously time is money which is an issue if you want to do it yourself, but there are great templates and plugins for Dreamweaver that can help.

Since I am a programmer, and web developer who actively seeks more and more work...what I'm about to say is counter productive personally.

However, I have always lived by the age old rule....

"Give a person a fish and they'll eat for a day. Teach them how to fish, and they'll eat for a lifetime"

For more immediate results, it would probably be a good idea to hire a developer who knows what they're doing, and as such can get it done for you a lot quicker. However, just because you hire a developer, don't put off learning to develop/program yourself.

Obviously, the more you learn, the less you'll need to rely on someone else, and the less money, if any, you need to set aside for projects like this in the future. The only thing it will cost you after that, is time.

Thanks a lot for the enlightenment ANMMark! That was really an eye-opener for me. Could I hire you for my website? How much does a website cost? And if I need some help on the site, will there be an additional payment? I haven't experienced hiring a programmer and this will be my first time. And I hope I could even learn from the programmer.

imaclient, it would truly depend on your project, and your budget.

Our general pricing for website development is $500 for the first page and $100 per additional.

However, we try to stay within the client's budget (even if it doesn't meet the above pricing structure), and there is no additional fees for updates/assistance, up to 6 months. We typically take 50% down ($200 minimum) to start a project, and the remaining 50% upon completion of the project.

If you still wanted to discuss hiring us to do your project, and work with you to teach you as well, I'd be happy to discuss it in private.

That is very kind of you that for giving me quote. My current budget wouldn't allow me to spend that amount of money for a website/forum that I wanted. I will contact you as soon as I have acquired sufficient funds for the down payment.

I disagree with you there. Experience and knowledge must balance each other out and cannot exist alone. I may have programmed a dozen sites, but until I can do so and comply with web standards my experience is for nought. I can also know every potential code but never have made a live site, but it doesn't mean my first site may not work perfectly.

We learn through education and applying the education. Even an experienced programmer started off with no knowledge and no sites at some point.

This is true but it is also the case that you do not want your practises to be sites that you hope to make you money. I learned programming in uni, and can handle that aspect well, but when it comes to the design of the site that's another kettle of fish. I am not a designer, I am a programmer, and that too is something to consider. Design is something that can be taught in theory, but theory won't help you build something that just is, perfect.

I have to agree with purple and Abbie here. Although I am not an "experienced" programmer, I know the codes and logics behind programming. Just I have said in my original post, I will have to spend a considerable amount of time, which I am very short, to further enhance my knowledge in website building. I will just keep saving the money for the programmer to make my website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting