Hosting Longevity

cap333

A three part question:

Which web hosting companies have been around the longest?
What are the main reasons they have survived for so long?
How much weight should be given towards credability based on their longevity?

A three part question:

Q 1. I don't know the answer to that but I know alot of web host have been around for 10+ years(godaddy, 1&1 I think, )
Q 2. They know what they are doing and have a long term business plan.

Q 3. Just because they been around for a long time doesn't mean they have good support, uptime etc.. In any company I do business with I always do research on them like customer reviews, history etc..

Time = credibility is not a good judge. There are a number of companies that have been around for 10+ years, and just as many smaller companies without the large marketing budgets that have been around 15+ years. Most SMALLER companies survive on quality service and support, where as many larger companies while they may provide good service, are often relying on investors and advertising.

1&1 is a fine example. They are not concerned with keeping clients for the long term. They get more money with a higher turnover than if they have to actually provide the services they offer. This is due to how their company was first established (not as a hosting company, but a marketing company). With their large budget, they can afford the 15 page advertisments in Computer Shopper and other publications and not even bat an eye. GoDaddy, another service that spends MILLIONS on advertising, and they are rewarded for it with their signups etc. They are not a one stop shop that fits the needs of everyone, but the average person on the web, they do just fine.

So if you have the investors you can easily brand your product on a larger scale and can also afford to LOSE money on a monthly basis. Most smaller hosting companies survive based on profit ;)

> There are many of them. Make your own survey by searching in whois database.

> Because they are good and their customers like the services thye receive.

> Hard to say. They obviously have a credibility. The market however is now changing, all the web hosts need to understand the change.

Can not really say. There are a lot of hosting providers that have quality service.

Offering quality support with quality service.

Number of years, reviews, and quality of support and service.

A good amount. A host that's been around for a while is likely to have what it takes to survive. That doesn't mean its service will fit your expectations of quality though.

Also, a host that has been good for 8 years, and bad for the most recent year, still must be counted as a bad host.

I don't have much to add to this - do research and find out a companies history. Find out if they have changed names and why.

I would say because of focus and a definite goal from the start of the business. A lot of people one day wake up and decide to get a reseller account and start hosting only to find out later that isn't what they really wanted to do. The companies that stay in business and continue providing the same quality and support to their customers are the ones that started out and in my mind were determined to do what it takes to ensure their business was still open years down the road.

How much weight should be given towards credibility based on their longevity?
I don't think it should be the only factor to consider but it does say a lot about a company that can show they have what it takes to keep your business online year after year. No fly by nights, a real phone number incase you need help and the confidence that you won't be sold to someone else are advantages to any company with a proven track record.

Last edited:
The main reason they've survived for so long is because they had a good plan and worked it - whether it was focused on marketing or customer support. I'd rather be with a provider who provides great support, and pay a little extra if need be.

I think a lot if it's still under the same management and is growing. Check for recent press releases, new customer testimonials and reviews.

A host who provides quality support and service is a host who will last in this industry. If your willing to pay $1-3+ more for quality service and support why not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting