Hosting management

wilson_flagg

I'm trying to set up my server so that I can host website from it for other people, I was wondering what a decent control panel would be and any other software I would need to manage and have it up and running.

Thanks in advance!

Were going to need some more information. Where is the server that you are using? Is it Unix/Windows.

I would advise if you are wanting to be large, get a WHM/CPanel licence. It would be super cheat though, but it's a fairly simple and userfriendly panel. There are others like Plesk or Ensim.

Were going to need some more information, before anyone can recommend more options.

I recommend WebHost Automation Limited, http://www.webhostautomation.com/webhost-840 It's not expensive and its very stable and feature rich. You can automate your hosting business with the help of this control panel software. This could save you astounding money: well over $20,000.
Here's you can get (for Free!)
Hope it helps.

meggy said:
I recommend WebHost Automation Limited, http://www.webhostautomation.com/webhost-840 It's not expensive and its very stable and feature rich. You can automate your hosting business with the help of this control panel software. This could save you astounding money: well over $20,000.
Here's you can get (for Free!)
Hope it helps.
I'm not sure if your really helping or just advertising? Since your a 1 poster :p

Also, that software shows managing 5 domains at the most.

I'm not sure if your really helping or just advertising?
Given that I've seen similar posts from newbies on several forums, I personally think this is a self promotion of some sort.

It takes more than a control panel to manage a server. :) cPanel has everything you'd need to set up accounts and etc, but I recommend you check out a 3rd party server management company if the server you have now is not managed.

This will save you a lot of worry, as a good company will monitor the uptime of your server and services, actively patch the kernel and OS with the most recent updates, lock down your security, and usually a lot more (if you have a good company). But really, the peace of mind you'll get from having to now worry about monitoring and restarting your server as well as securing your box, will make the experience well worth the cost.

You can't be too careful.

cpanel is ok, they're a bit on the expensive side though, plus they tend to have issues with their spam management. Unless you maybe upgrade to their new maildir system

To get started, I'd try directadmin or LXAdmin, they can be automated and yet not too expensive. If you go with VPS, they're even cheaper.