Hosting Radio

Rob

I have been playing with this thought for a while now. What would you guys think to having an internet radio station set around the hosting industry.

As well as having talks & interviews about things hosting the station could also play music. I'm aware that a broadcast licence would need to be purchased if music was also aired but the cost could be covered if advertisement's were also aired on the station every 15 - 30 mins.

What would your thoughts be on this?

This has been considered by many people I know, including myself. Strangely, few have given it a try. Practically nobody succeeded. At least there is nothing interesting out there that I would choose to listen. Vito Ceniti from DemoDemo was behind the creation of Web Hosting TV through WHIR, and I was watching those regularly. But then the program was very well created, and should you want to try something like that, you have to really invest in quality shows not to sound amateur.

Ya I agree with Art. If you are going to do something like this it has to be really planned out. The involvement in doing something like this would require alot of work that most do not have the time for.

I have heard way too many radio broadcasts that sound jumbled together and the radio announcers sounded like they were making it up as it goes.

I just don't see this being a hot spot in the industry. Truthfully forums like this are quite a bit more efficient and you get the input and discussion from thousands instead of just a few that would be on the air.

Well that's my :twocents:

I do agree with the point that forums and traditional news sources really are a great way to stay informed about what is going on much better and with a higher level of selectivity than radio. Although I can't deny that it would be a great idea to have sort of a BBC Radio of web hosting, having quick news briefs on the start of each hour, specialty programs, talk shows, etc. But then again - think of effort, time and costs that it would take.

Given the amount of time and effort it will take i dont think i could do it until i have retired - then i will have lots of time on my hands :D

I would listen to it, but I agree it needs to be setup proper. Radio alone online can sometimes be a PITA to setup, but having someone follow a full script might be harder. Maybe just have a few geeks in a room with a check list about what they want to take about instead?

Some problems of streaming radio in the internet are hard to fix and that makes an internet radio station not so good to setup. I mean constant buffering, grumbled sound, and quality of music being played are just a few of the problems that would discouraged listeners to listen to the website. Besides there are many internet radio stations already that have established themselves already and its hard to compete with them.

Well sounds like a great idea , but you have to take good care of streaming radio internet because some of its problems are really hard to solve....