Hours worked

redrunner

Web Hosting can be pretty demanding with the 24/7 support. I know many operate their business pretty bare bones as far as the number of employees goes. How many hours are you having to put in a week to keep the business operating smoothly?

With all my business, which I work full time at and its my only source of income, I put ina bout 800 - 100 hours per week. When I was doing web hosting before, I put in about the same. The clients had emergency access 24/7. Some nights there was plenty of sleep, other nights not so much.

I always put in 9 - 5 M-F but sometimes I need to work over or work weekends. I own and operate my own web design and development company so, when a client needs a website I begin work immediately. Waiting 2 or 3 weeks for a web design agency to get back to you when its 'ideal' for them is not acceptable in my book. The web design agency needs to cater to the client - Period!

When you own your own company your hours are longer and harder then anyone's. Also, the outcome you will obtain is much more rewarding and positive then anyone else will get. Best of luck!

When I started in the industry I worked from the moment I woke up until I couldn't take it anymore. That's the nature of startups. I had a small UK based hosting company back then. A few years on I am now able to be more relaxed, with staff doing much of the leg work. But the funny thing is- I actually miss those early days. Strange!

When you're first starting out, you're going to put in a lot of hours. Many first time entrepreneurs don't realize how hard small business owners really work to ensure their business's success.

When I started in the industry I worked from the moment I woke up until I couldn't take it anymore. That's the nature of startups. I had a small UK based hosting company back then. A few years on I am now able to be more relaxed, with staff doing much of the leg work. But the funny thing is- I actually miss those early days. Strange!

I think we all miss those days at one point or another. I miss the startup days too somedays.

I haven't really gotten "in" on it but I have estimated the time I think I will need which doesn't leave room for much anything else. This has to be one of the most time consuming jobs I have came across.

I work over 12 hours per day.. Our clients have fast response times, as all staff work more or less 12 hours so we can cover 24/7.

I work long hours as well, even if you're up there, it's still feels good to be as close as you can to the customer and understand what needs to be done now, in the short and long term.

Mobile technology has helped out a lot as well - I'm sure most of the people on here use that as much as they can, I know I do.

When it comes to hours of work (in particular with support), you need to balance things between a best endeavours type issue, or an actual problem and of course the severity of that problem.

You should use your own judgement and common sense.

Work a normal day (8 hours) and maybe do the odd evening shift, but have a decent text or e-mail alerts system say things do go wrong in unsociable hours. Therefore you are kept alerted of the problems.

There are definitely going to be times when you're up until the early hours of the morning with certain issues, but there is no reason for you to be killing yourself doing it day-after-day. You just need to organise yourself correctly, that's all. ;)

I agree with hosttalk. You don't want to kill yourself and burn out super quickly. Good customer support and trouble shooting is key though, to building any sort of business and credibility with your customers.

I work long hours as well.Because we have to give support to our clients anytime.Our business requires fast response to our clients.

To keep up the system 60-80 hours should do the trick, it wont look over work nor lack..To keep it stand out to the crowd one really should give time.

Many people spend a lot of time on there site, Belive me even when they have nothing to do theres something to do or they just want to do something and is really bored on the site just wondering around on the pages.

I spend a lot of time on my sites, About more then 65+ hours, Some times Im up all night and sleepy in school.

I work long hours as well.Because we have to give support to our clients anytime.Our business requires fast response to our clients.

That's nice to know. I work long hours as well, specially when I was still starting to establish myself. It is best that you are dedicated to what you're doing.