How are you dealing with frauders

host1plus

Hosting Service
Hi guys,

Let's make a list of ways ( I hope that ways will help for everyone) how to deal with frauders.
What services you are using?
What billing system are you using?

Here are a few things that I do (using WHMCS):

1. Use MaxMind fraud protection system.
2. Manually review every order before being approved.
3. Check and verify PayPal payments to make sure it matches the clients.
4. Put up a fraud warning for all fraudsters to see during the checkout process.

So far this has worked very well. :)

Last edited:
A couple of other things that I have found helpful in rooting out fraud.

Email addresses that have a blatantly different name than the credit card being used and are typically a free email account.

Whois lookup. If they registered the domain that day or a few days ago, there is a higher chance of fraud. If they've had the domain for year, it's unlikely that it's fraudulent. Also, watch for domains registered under a different name than the credit card being used for the purchase.

We all dislike fraud and it's illegal. Hope this helps someone.

Max mind is actually really nice. It's definitely a must for all orders.

No free services with the hope they sign up for real. You'll only get bad news.

Voice-Calling customers is indeed a great way of verification - though it can also be ineffective if you're up against a cunning bloke.

MaxMind is possibly the best answer.

Maxmind is a great tool but only gets about 80% of the scammers. We always manually verify orders on top of maxmind, but maxmind definitely makes it easier by getting rid of most of em.

Proxys are a given, look at the IP address, if it has a reverse DNS a proxy will usually be obvious compared to a residential or business connection. If it doesn't have a reverse DNS, then use Google to search the IP and see what comes up.

Fraud orders are generally for expensive plan so just when you get such order, Be alert!. :uhh:

Last edited:
Here are a few things that I do (using WHMCS):

1. Use MaxMind fraud protection system.
2. Manually review every order before being approved.
3. Check and verify PayPal payments to make sure it matches the clients.
4. Put up a fraud warning for all fraudsters to see during the checkout process.

So far this has worked very well. :)

Basically what we also do, some still get through the net but less than one order a month.