How did you start into Web Hosting?

luis123456789

A Personal Note:

You may have noticed I was not posting anything online at all, or doing anything. I was just replying to PMs and emails on an urgent basis. I was studying this whole time, and passed all exams. Well, I might have failed to meet some deadlines and had, as a result, some people might have got angry with me. I gotta say sorry for that.

Now onto the real post.

I started in January 2005, when I was exploring the Yahoo! website (more specifically, my email account), and found in the links the Geocities web host. I managed to build a quite looking homepage, but the ads and other problems (such as being GeoCities the URL) made me look for another hosts, including FreeServers and Awardspace. I was 13 years old back then, and as you may know, (even to this day) I do not have a credit card. As expected. I got annoyed by the limits, poor up time and the ads of free hosting and did try to sign up for paid hosting, up to the point of payment and that was where I (unfortunately) had to leave the order process. Back on the time, (and up to today) a local host in my country was (and is) very expensive where I live and it was not a possible option, so I have had to discard it. While jumping from host to host (and back in that time there was the free .be domains) I found out FriHost,and that was where I discovered Post 2 Host. They rejected my hosting signup due to my posts being too short and spam (with my little understanding of web hosting, I replied to them with what's now my signature (Spam? What do you mean by spam? I need a free host!) and around that time, there was a post2host which, in my daily routine of posting, I found an admin talking about WHM, and that's when my search for a free reseller officially begun. (We're talking about 2005-2006 now, I was in high school and had 14 years old).

Between mistakes and mistakes, I was in alot of forums, this time as moderator now. But what goes around comes around, and there was a lot of drama (and there still is). Free hosting is like a game, a multiplayer one, when, for example, when ad admin or mod gets demoted there are people that both like and applaud and others that protest it. While I got unlimited resellers and hosting, the amount of drama (and the fact that a hacker got ahold of my main email and almost all my forum accounts and started flaming around with them and got some banned) made me leave for what's the end of 2007, 2008 and 2009. Having graduated high school and free from many problems, I came back to the scene in 2010 to see what I could find. While I got good resellers, not long in a post2host I found about post2vps, but the cost of post was too high for me.

That-s when I was invited toa free VPS forum and, after a few posts, got one. But it was too low in specs for me and did kept running on limits fast. So, I saw a host sponsoring and that-s where I meet the world of sponsorships. *late 2010/2011* I also got to know many things, such as Minecraft, GTA SA/MP, a lot of server , VPS and hosting experience, and so on.

Today, to make this short, I have 2 VPS and 1 reseller. While free resellers are really easy to get today, I prefer VPS as it gives me more of a challenge when it comes to requirements, and rewards. I am only 11 assigments from my degree in Law, so let's see what the future brings me.

The most biggest VPS I've ever had had those specs:
-800 GB space
-8 GB ram
-8 CPU cores
-Unlimited 1gbps connection and a lot of extras

(This VPS was lowered to half because I wanted Win2003 as the Server OS. Had to pick it because one of the things I learned on my experience is to hate OpenVZ)

P.S: I made this post as a sort of ice-breaker, a way to re-introduce myself to HostingDiscussion.
Edit: Another thing I didn't mention is that I have sucessfully joined a political party in my country, and that soon in the future I will become a candidate. I hope that most of the experience learned from many of the differents hosting company attempts I've had serves me as experience to build up a good campaign.

Last edited:
Hey, welcome back. Our company is relatively new to the forums here.

I got started in web hosting because that is where my career started. I have grown a very vast set of technical and marketing skills as a result of my interest in web hosting and would bet your hosting experience transfers into other venues as well. Mine sure did!

Best of luck to you in the future :beer:

Welcome back. I'm sorta just got back in town also from a brake. Man these forums have changed in many many different ways I remeber like the first days I use to visit here back in 09 wow time flys.

Anyways I got started with web hosting when I use to play tournaments and games on a first person shoter. I had started a clan website then from there though about being able to provide hosting for other teams / clans even events and then from there took bits of twists and got myself into the Web hosting field. I then started reselling vps and dedicated servers using single hop program it was fantastic back then don't know about it now. And now I own multiple servers and rent a few to.

I think I'd be apart of the hosting industry till I grow very old. It's a hobby and career for me.

Welcome back brother. I got started in this business just one year under a decade and I sure have been doing the things I always wanted to do.

Hey welcome, I started doing affiliate stuff back in the 90's. I was a computer geek from birth so it was just a matter to find how I could geek out all day and not have to work.

Never would of thought 20 years later I would still be doing it.

I started in the PC business many years ago. After retiring I needed something to keep me busy so I started selling hosting as a reseller. I now have my own servers which makes my days active.