How do you find out what the SSH port is set to?

globalgoods

I have 2 hours to delete a website off my dedicated server or its getting disconnected :(

I have NO IDEA how to do this!

globalgoods said:
I have 2 hours to delete a website off my dedicated server or its getting disconnected :( I have NO IDEA how to do this!

This is why there needs to be competancy tests before people should be allowed to connect to the internet ...

If you dont know how to delete a website off *your* server, then the best thing is to let it be disconnected !

globalgoods said:

I have 2 hours to delete a website off my dedicated server or its getting disconnected :(

I have NO IDEA how to do this!
Pretty scary if you don't know the basic SSH commands. I'm not trying to bash you here or anything, it's just scary to know someone in the hosting area, not know about some SSH/Telnet commands.

If you can't use SSH, why don't you just manually delete it? Or if you have access to WHM, delete it from there. Also, if you want to go into a even more manual setting, just delete it by FTP/Cpanel.

Good luck.

Ask your provider, but usually it's set to port 22.

I'd contact/hire a third party administrator full time so you don't delete something you'll regret later.

One thing I'm wondering about, is how did that site get onto your server if you couldn't SSH to it?

If you have a CP, delete it from there.

If all else fails, run a port scan on all ports and see which one gives you a connection refused (instead of timeout). However, most providers will not like this.

If you are unsure which port SSH is, it's usually 22 or 23. In the event you don't know which one it is, or it is not one of those. There is a company called NetEssentials which makes a free port scanning program. All you have to do is enter your servers IP address, and it will scan the open ports. If it's in the 20's and not 21 or 25- it's possibly an SSH alternative. I hope that helps you. If you still can not figure out which port it is, and i'm not too late replying - shoot me an email at jfasone(at)steadcom.com and I will help you out.