How do you get into doing technical stuff for theatre?

rugstore

Currently i'm 17 and at school for another year then i hope to go and do a chemistry degree. But at school one thing I've loved doing is lighting and any other technical stuff for school plays, I do theatre studies as an A-Level and love the theatre despite being a scientist. Hopefully at uni I can do plenty of this kind of thing for uni productions. But how do you get into this job for real? Also what is it like doing this sort of work?

I can only suggest that you get into community theatre as a stepping stone. Go to fresher's fair and see what societies are open to new members that deal with theatrics. Normally you can sign up or arrange an audition, and take it from there. You'll get good advice through the society.

Also, while you're at it, speak to the guidance counceler at your school currently - then if you get a few minutes, drop down to some of the local colleges and speak to those people too. Your best bet will be to speak to someone who is already doing what you want to do, and ask them what they did and how you can duplicate it.