How do you manage private name servers in cpanel?

charlier

Hi,

I was wondering what is the best way to handle private name servers for resellers.

I have been using 3 IP's per reseller, and I'm wondering if I'm throwing away IP's I shouldn't be.

Namely my use of the Ips are the following.

1.) This is used for their shared IP address. This avoids conflicts if I get a bad client, I don't get my customers IP blacklisted. (at least in theory)
2.) Private Nameserver IP
3.) Private Nameserver IP

Should I be doing something different like just setting aside just 2 IP's, and having all the private name server requests use them?

Thanks,

You do not actually need to use separate IP addresses. Just make sure you do not have an obviously rDNS set and you can point multiple name servers to the same IP by creating A records.

As above, you certainly don't need to use 3 IP addresses per reseller account (unless of course they pay extra for them, I guess).

If you wanted you could use 1-2, although 3 is a bit over-kill IMO.

Hi,

You certainly don't need to use different IP for each reseller for any kind of DNS configuration. Both can work on single shared IP address.

But still I recommend you to assign different IPs. It will help to keep the resellers differentiated. (e.g. if an IP is blcaklisted for any reason because of one reseller it will not affect any other resellers).

If you have namesevers located on a single server you can use a single IP for both the name servers.

Since the nameservers on same server giving 2 one IP address or 2 IP address will mean the same since the the point of failure is one.

Hi,

I was wondering what is the best way to handle private name servers for resellers.

Hello,
If you want offer private nameservers to your resellers you need only 2 dedicated IP’s [one IP for each nameserver] per reseller.
Typically the first nameserver is the IP for the reseller main site (so, this can been used a SSL on this dedicated IP) and the second nameserver IP is used as shared IP for the resold accounts.
So, if you do not want the circumstance as at this point and you want truly offer personal nameservers then do not take note down what devonblzx, hostmaster09, thewebedge, webedge and brijesh want to delude you.
If you have a good reseller provider; then you get offered these two dedicated IP’s careless on a simply request.
Hopefully this help you out. :agree:

Hello
1. Registering domain (if you don't have one already)
Register your domain if you do not have one. This domain will be used as your name server.

2. Will need 2 available IPs
Lunarpages provides 2 IPs with the dedicated server. One is for the server itself and one of the nameservers, and the other IP can be used for the other nameserver. You can have your primary domain and one nameserver both on the same IP address.

3. Register the nameservers.
You will need to contact your registrar to register your domain as a nameserver. In most cases, you can login to your domain management page to set this up.

note: registrations can take up to 3 days to propagate.

4. Fix NDC
SSH into your server as root and run the following:
/scripts/updatenow
/scripts/fixndc

In WHM, restart DNS/Nameserver (BIND) - it is on the left window pane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123