How exactly are domains appraised?

Hannah

I didn't know there was such a thing to be honest, but recently came across some websites offering services where real people do it and some that seem to be automated where you just input the url.

I was wondering how the evaluation works. I mean, I can see it's a combination of factors like age of the site, backlinks, Alexa ranking etc but it raises a number of questions in my brain. :)

As a site owner how would you know what parts to focus on to increase your site's value if you were wanting to sell it in the future?

For example, does the number of backlinks carry more weight in one of these appraisals than say your Google PR would?

Would an automated service give more weight to one type of criteria than a real live person appraising it would or vice versa?

For example, a real person could tell if a site was visually appealing or not - would that be taken into account in their assessment?

What'd be the more reliable/realistic evaluation of the two (man vs machine I guess!) or would they both take into account the same things?

I'll stop there and let you catch your breath lol. :D Any sharing of insights on this would be most welcome. Thanks!

P.S. I just realized it may well be that site appraisal and domain appraisal are two completely separate things and never the twain shall meet. Please forgive me if I'm showing my ignorance. :)