How Long Do You Wait...?

purple

...before deciding to just move on from your current host due to issues?

I've been with my host for about 6 months now with pretty light usage, but when they changed servers recently I have had my webmail options disappear, lost access to my wordpress files (I can see them but not upgrade through my WP admin panel-not plugins nor versions), I cannot edit the themes, and while trying to tweak the permissions tonight I have managed to make my main blog completely unviewable at its domain, despite it being set to 777 at the time. :sad:

Don't ask me I haven't a clue, and after over a week of a previous support ticket for the webmail issue the best they've done is ask for my password to see my account...

...not much better hope with my new support ticket. I am in the middle of launching one of my domains for a rather hot niche and now I have to either revamp it or wait until either they fix things or I change hosts, losing half my year's payment in the process.

I'm so peeved I could throw things, or cry which is more likely. I don't need this stress. And I've been revising a review for them for about a week now, I'm not sure if they care about that, but its the only recourse I seem t have left to allow others warning.

So how do you decide if you should give them one last chance or just leave? :help:

Sounds likeyou've already given them enough chances, its the money thats still keeping you there I'm guessing, have you checked their ToS? Perhaps you may be lucky and they may offer prorata refunds so you can atleast reclaim some money.

You should check their TOS to see if they will prorate the rest of your service and you should move.

Hey Also check our services

Please check worldofhosting.org
daily backups 99.9 up time cpanel direct admin vps text base hosting servers Its upi to you what do you need.

im agreed with romm's.. i wont use as will any host these days, servers or datacenters that dont provide 99.8% or above uptime without issues... not to sure why they require your password however as support often use the root account, only certain things cannot be done with this..

and id go with the suggestion to move out, ensure however you choose hosts by their quality and not "unlimtied bandwidth/space" however otherwise the service is likly to be similar.

Unfortunately I spent months watching this one and digging about the internet checking references and reviews. Found them through this forum actually.

Apparently they need the passowrd instead of the root one to "find the issue" despite me not having done anything.

I just knew I was going to get burned not knowing how to pick a host without paying a ton. Argh.

the problem is some time password needed to help them. Sometime you can't see error messages as root, but clients level can see those error messages. The same thing if they asking for the mailbox password, they just don't want to change the current or add some additional mailboxes. Someone can yell because of such steps from support department.

But.. some support guys can use such answers with thinks that hist shift will be over soon and someone from the next shift will help :uhh: yes this is the truth.

I have some experience in such things. Once I was hosted at MidPhase(not anymore, they are very bad company with very bad support team) one support guy gave me the following answer after the ticket submitting:
==============
Please update this ticket in 2 hours when the nex shift will be at office.
MidPhase TechSupport department
blah blah blah
==============

What do you think about such answers?:crash:

blah blah blah
Yipes! That made my morning. Some of these techs don't realize how hard it is to close clients initially, both in manhours and monies invested. That response would prompt me to find another provider.

If you dont like their service, just look for a new one.. You already have waitied enough!!!.. There is a competition outside and am sure you can find another company... Make a good research, find a new one that you believe that they are good!!! and change it..

Once I was hosted at MidPhase(not anymore, they are very bad company with very bad support team) one support guy gave me the following answer after the ticket submitting:
==============

There is some humor in that. :D

Midphase was bought a while ago, giving a change for things to improve... or worsen. :)

We had a similar issue when we bought my parents a Tracfone. Spent an hour on the line with some ditzy lady who told my husband to wait 15 mins then call back if the software hadn't updated properly. When we called back at 7:05pm tech support was out of the office for the day. Bet she got fired the next day. I worked telemarketing and I read the shift manager an earful the next day. He managed to fix the problem in ten minutes plus add a longer contract. go figure. :uhh:

Today has been fun, I got yelled at for swearing for using dang and wtf....I'm betting my chances at seeing a refund are slim to none to even less. :crash:

...before deciding to just move on from your current host due to issues?

I've been with my host for about 6 months now with pretty light usage, but when they changed servers recently I have had my webmail options disappear, lost access to my wordpress files (I can see them but not upgrade through my WP admin panel-not plugins nor versions), I cannot edit the themes, and while trying to tweak the permissions tonight I have managed to make my main blog completely unviewable at its domain, despite it being set to 777 at the time. :sad:

Don't ask me I haven't a clue, and after over a week of a previous support ticket for the webmail issue the best they've done is ask for my password to see my account...

...not much better hope with my new support ticket. I am in the middle of launching one of my domains for a rather hot niche and now I have to either revamp it or wait until either they fix things or I change hosts, losing half my year's payment in the process.

I'm so peeved I could throw things, or cry which is more likely. I don't need this stress. And I've been revising a review for them for about a week now, I'm not sure if they care about that, but its the only recourse I seem t have left to allow others warning.

So how do you decide if you should give them one last chance or just leave? :help:

If I was in your position I would backup all of my data first and foremost. Then after that I would read there TOS from back to end seeing if I could find a way to get some of my money back. After those steps I would start looking for a more reliable web host.

I'm very sorry to hear about your bad experience with yoiur host. I hope you find a better hosting company soon.

I would backup my data, ask for a refund (but check their TOS first!), and move to a better host.

I wish you luck in finding a good web host that meets your needs and is reliable. :)

Hi There, still unable to edit your files? try permissions at 755.

As for leaving a host that's a personal decision but here's a few basic questions to ask yourself:

1. Is hosting company meeting your needs?
2. Do they answer your support questions promptly?
3. Are their support responses helpful?

If you don't feel confident in the company after asking these few simple questions it is most likely best to switch to a new hosting company. Research other hosts to find one that meets your needs, backup your data and move on.

Good Luck,
Chris

hi purple, so do you have marketing background?
Not really, but I did peddle male enhancement products and acne treatments over the phone on the 11pm-7am shift for about 6 months. Made the bonus twice in that time. My sales rate for the "free trial" of acne treatment was about 80% but it didn't make you squat, the evil trial offers did, and I hated swindling people into them. :disagree:

My background is science/education as well as design/art. I can sell something but no actual background aside from on-the-job training as an event coordinator in college.

I did backup everything on all our sites (all predominately WP run). Read through the TOS. Out of luck on the refund (as far as I can tell), didn't pay much anyway since I used a coupon posted here to start with. Closed my support tickets and told them they were very unhelpful and to expect reviews from me in the future.

My settings were 755. Always had been after research showed me WP liked that best compared to the 644 they started as (I think). As to the other three questions: no, no, no and they are rude to top it off. Unfortunately it happens at a time I don't have the cash to buy into a new 6month/year plan somewhere.

Thanks for the rational objective replies everyone. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just flying off the handle because it was emotionally frustrating to deal with.