How many datacenters are out there?

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
How many datacenters are there in North America? Europe? World? Does anyone have those numbers/statistics?

Best,

I think listing the datacenters would assist us in developing a list of the wide known ones. Off the top of my head theres;

Equinix
EV1
GNAX
The Planet
NAC
INTERSERVER
Server Central
INTERNAP

Their has to be thousands I would think. I mean places like AT&T have dozens as do many other companies, not to mention smaller datacenters. I don't know the exact number, not sure if their would even be a list.

Last edited:
A list of datacenters would seem highly impractical, because as Greg said, there really are thousands, but this brings you back to the topic of "What Defines a Datacenter?" Such statistics are probably hard to come by as smaller datacenters would need to gain recognition to make it to the list, if it existed (which it might, but I personally doubt)

Yes, I agree that listing the datacenters is impractical, however doing so would provide us with an overview of atleast the large ones out there.

Largest datacenters in Amsterdam, Netherlands:

Global Switch
InterXion 1/2 /4
InterXion 3
Nikhef
NovaXess
Redbus
Sara
Schuberg Philis
Telecity 1
Telecity 2

ya

To many to track, same with webhosting companies, they predict numbers but they really dont know, like thay say these people control 1% of the market, hmm maybe but we own 7 brands that arent even picked up for stats and we are bigger then the company that has 1% of the market, so the stats we get offline are so heresay these days

Big Daddy of Data Centers

Since EV1 and ThePlanet have teamed up they might be the biggest hosting company with over 310,000 sq. feet of floor space.

But what about the biggest data center in the world? The Infomart. 1.6 MILLION SQ. FEET! 15 data carriers! Located in Dallas Texas, It's a bad to the bone 7 story building. Check the web site.The Infomart USA

Torque

Hello,

Following are the datacenters names:

Ev1servers
ThePlanet
ServerBeach
HiVelocity
Orbit
Jason
Fatnet Servers

Thank you.

Regards,

It depends how you define a Data Center.
Some define it as the physical building but it really is not.

You can still call a Cage or a Private Suite a Data Center... because the equipment and the technology used to run it is whats establishing it a Data Center.

A Building like One Wilshire isn't the Data Center because they have other operations like Office Buildings that run in their as well.

Someone like ThePlanet may be a large Provider but 2 or 3 of their Data Centers are infact cages or Private Suites at a Telecom Hotel.