How much do you put back into the business

How much of your business income do you put back into your business?
Do you have a set amount, do you have a % of the income or do you not put any back into it apart from your costs?

How true do you think the saying you have to spend money to make money is in the world of hosting?
What has been your experience with the saying? Do you think that anytime you spent more money on your business, it ended up in bringing in more income in the long run, or do you think that you would have been better off just keeping it yourself?

For the first couple of years, I took everything out. Now I've learned to re-invest in the company (which has definately helped). As I do not have a salary, I occasionally take some small portions out but whenever I pay something for the company through my personal cc's, bank, etc., you can bet your bottom dollar that I will be re-imbursing myself... :)

Do you give yourself a wage Alex, or do you just take out money as you need and want it?

I think a lot of people do it the other way around, they invest a lot at the start, many put in a lot more than they need to I think and don't leave enough money to live off.

Many people forget to include money for them when they do their business plan, they count for everything apart from what they will have to take out, have seen a lot of people make the same mistake.

As mentioned, I have not set myself up under salary yet. Now that I have stopped dipping my hand in the cookie jar for some time, I've been able to reinvest in assets and am at the point that I can safely start drawing a salary.

As I am running my business part-time + a full-time job I am putting every cent back into the business. As I am preparing for a new venture with my business I need the money to be available. As I do have another job I do not really need the income from my business.

Christoph

I am toying with the idea of setting up my own webhosting business. I like the idea. I haven't been put off by the Angel Networkz or Feature Price fiasco's that have plagued the business over the past year or so.

I'm still at the "ideas in my head stage". At first I would probably plough everything back in to slowly build myself up.