How Much Experience

Vineyard

If you were looking to hire a web designer for a sales site, how much experience you would want them to have? Not so much in terms of years doing it, but how many sites they have designed.

Much like when I hire staff - I don't necessarily care about a piece of paper saying they're qualified. The deciding factor will always be PROOF of knowledge.

If you're hiring for design, check out their portfolio as Collabora suggested. You can always find someone who is just starting out that maybe only has one project under their belt, but they're damn good at what they do - so just because someone has 40 designs rather than someone who has only 2, that does't mean that the guy with 2 doesn't know what he's doing. Maybe he's looking for an opportunity to expand his portfolio and if he can do the job, he/she might be the perfect fit!

You could also check out local colleges as you may find some talented students that are looking for projects to do for their coursework/exams. this way you may get an A1 design for a discounted price or free while the student gets a design for their portfolio that goes towards their coursework/exams.

I did this for a couple of organisations i was involved in. we gave a brief of what we were looking for and got back 20 designs from the students and then we chose the one we would use. It is all experience for the future designers.

Last edited:
A local web design company that is in the same business forum i attend uses a full day assessment when they advertise for a new designer as in they will get the new designers that they shortlist in at 8.30 in the morning and give them a brief and stick them in front of a PC and leave them until 5pm and then see who finishes the project and to a excellent standard.

I agree - it is not as important how many the designer has done, or even how long he's been doing it - but rather what kind of quality is being produced. Samples are better than certificates.

Sometimes portfolios don't tell the whole story. It's more about being able to give the client what they want.

Sometimes portfolios don't tell the whole story. It's more about being able to give the client what they want.

Thats why the firm i mentioned will get them to spend a day at their offices to work to a brief so they can see how they work and the results working to a deadline.
A portfolio can be faked, by saying someones work is your own.

I do web designing, host, and teach web design. Trust me, portfolio is #1 but that is not it. About 2 minutes of talking, or good old right click -> view source on one of their sites and you will find out just as much if not more

You need to demonstrate competency & build trust to sell – doesn’t matter if they are selling their ability to sell or selling their design.

The portfolio can help you do both (in sales & design). It not only shows you what they can do, but also gives you examples of their work. They should be able to give you specific information on relevant work history.

That said, there is always a time and place for using new hires & students.

I would ask for samples of websites they have created in the past. The length of career or job doesn't tell everything. If someone says he's a web developer with 10+ years of experience I wouldn't hire him straight away. I bet someone can make better website than he does.

So I would recommend to ask either for a portfolio and some examples of their work. You could still also ask for how long they have been doing it just to make sure. Also remember to ask what are his specialties (Javascript, PHP, AJAX etc.) and make sure they are enough for what you are looking for.

We do most of our design in house, however if I were going to use a designer I'd ask for a portfolio and references. I'd also check around and make sure he/she is professional, courteous and good with a deadline.

Look at their portfolio to see if what they do is a good fit for what you need. The best kind of experience that a candidate has is the type that fits you.

Who did you end up going with? How are they in terms of providing updates, responses etc...?

Let us know of the completed work so we can see / review it :).

I'm surprised by the responses but I agree, you should probably end up seeing design examples and it doesn't matter experience in the "real world" for just the design as long as they make a good design. If they are doing the CSS/HTML too then maybe lean more on an experienced designer but you know it'll cost you more!

I agree it would be nice to see your design that you ended up getting and where you got it from!

With designers, at least 3+ years or more and a portfolio to look and and reviews by other clients, you never know there is a lot of scammer out their that say there are good but suck.

If you are looking for a web designer or a programmer than you must check their rating, itrader wherever they are dealing i.e through forum, freelance site or anywhere than you must move ahead by checking their portfolio.

A portfolio is important, but also how honest or transparent are they. In other words can they do the work because they have the talent (and the price is fair) and/or that they do indeed have the experience? If so, hire them. If they pretty much don't have experience and hope they can find a "word press plugin" to do what you want, run!!!!:twocents:

Yes, i always look at portfolio and also see what others can say about the person i am about to hire. It really helps a lot.