How Much Power Do I Need For Home Server

Tera

How much Power Do I need to have a home server? Can I use an older PC to host a website instead of paying Godaddy to do it? What kind of power do I need and how do I get it set up for a fast connection? Sorry, I'm new to this and am trying to learn a few things. Always trying to save the almighty dollar if possible.:crash:

Always trying to save the almighty dollar if possible.
Then consider your energy costs. You're likely to find that paying for a shared hosting account is cheaper, and that's even without factoring in your time. The connection speed difference (you won't have the bandwidth that a server in a datacenter usually has) means you's be getting better hosting too.

Based on what I've read, there are better hosting options than Godaddy though.

Just my 2 cents.

Depending on the draw on the machin typically anything between 0.2 amps to 1.5amps with an average of around 0.5 amps.

You will also need a data pipe to your home if you ware to get any good speed out of the connection. 8MBPS broadband should be fine if its not a high traffic site but many ADSL providers will not allow you to use the connection for hosting.

I can however guarantee you that in the long term hosting with a web host will be cheaper than doing it yourself.

PS: Does it have to be godaddy - you could do so much better.

The Bulk end of the stick!

Hey, thanks for the info. I always thought doing it at home is cheaper! I guess home hosting is relative to sayiing it's cheaper to eat out than at home if there are only one or two people dining...

Outide hosting can be cheaper on account of bulk makes sense! Thaniks for the notes though :)
Tera

With your home pc, its going to be the equivalent of running it day in and day out. Having someone host for you is nice, because they handle the internet connect (good bandwitdh), and you dont have to worry about your monthly power bill.

Hosting at home doesn't require a lot of power but it requires a fast internet connection. You should be fine hosting at home if it's a small website but if your hosting a lot of websites your going to experience an extremely laggy connection.

I think that you can run server from home only for fun. Do not go with that seriosly. As rule that is time wasting ;)

People are focusing on the power usage but that would honestly be the least of my concerns. The power usage would be minor but as soon as you start getting a decent number of visitors bandwidth wil be a real big problem.

For a while (a matter of weeks) I hosted a single page on a home machine, that was just a redirect to catch the few members we missed when we changed URLs. But it seemed like people always managed to find a way to crash my machine and it was off as much as it was on because of that!

If it's a long term site it's just not worth it.

But it seemed like people always managed to find a way to crash my machine and it was off as much as it was on because of that!
That looks more like a server management, or a computing power issue. It is as valid as any though. :)

That looks more like a server management, or a computing power issue. It is as valid as any though. :)

You are completely right. I was too afraid of something nasty happening to my beautiful baby machine and so I ran an old and somewhat clapped out machine as my server. It was old, the CPU was slow and the only thing it really had going for it was a lot of storage space, which of course wasn't needed just for a redirect page.

What type of site do you intend to host? and how important is uptime to you?

Hosting from home, decent internet connection, power consumption, downtime, the lsit goes on... Do your research before choosing the host that you do end up going with :)

How much Power Do I need to have a home server? Can I use an older PC to host a website instead of paying Godaddy to do it? What kind of power do I need and how do I get it set up for a fast connection? Sorry, I'm new to this and am trying to learn a few things. Always trying to save the almighty dollar if possible.:crash:

You are better off with going with the actual web host as I do not think you have that much knowledge on doing this.

I think you would be better off getting hosting at Godaddy. What if you get a power surge at home? You won't have a backup generator to keep your site online if you don't have power.